Chaos at Gatwick Airport

by The Fall Guy 20 Replies latest social current

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-sussex-46623754

Perhaps all major airports will eventually employ their own industrial sized drone, operated by a trained/authorised pilot who can track and pinpoint the nut-jobs who cause such disruption and possible catastrophe.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

It is incredible how all Gatwick flights are cancelled until further notice because of maybe 1 or 2 individuals. Who knew it would be that simple to disrupt an airport.

This situation must have been considered a possibility before now but no solution or plan of action appears to be in place to deactivate or immobilize the drones.

Is it a protest, a terrorist act or someone got their Xmas present early and just having fun regardless of the misery and inconvenice caused?

• cofty
    cofty

Still closed. The police have requested assistance of the army to locate the drone operators.

Police say these are industrial quality drones. The sort that are generally available have a battery capacity measured in minutes.

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

Been working on the possible logistics. Could be just 1 person. Unlikely though as there's been some night operations. I'm guessing there's a number of drones, all located in different places, all ready to fly, possibly hidden on the roofs of buildings close by. If they're blue-tooth operated they will have been previously paired with their own individual hand-held controllers to ensure they're not affected by interceptor techniques. One or more guys are watching the airfield from a vantage point, possibly inside the airport itself. The drones will have a maximum fly-time of about 30 minutes. Once each drone has been used, it will be sacrificed along with it's hand-held controller. Another will then be selected when airfield activity is seen to be resuming. The problems will continue until the culprit is discovered or he runs out of drones. Shooting down a drone won't help the problem.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

I cannot see to what purpose they would deliberately ruin so many travellers holiday plans. What are they hoping to achieve?

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

I feel really sorry for all the people whose travel plans have been ruined. People trying to get to family and friends they're desperate to see or a much needed holiday.

• Simon
    Simon
    Police say these are industrial quality drones. The sort that are generally available have a battery capacity measured in minutes.

Even low-cost drones can now easily fly for 30 minutes and several Km's

They are a lot of fun but idiots like this will ruin it for everyone. I think intentionally flying into commercial airspace should be considered a terrorist attempt and prosecuted accordingly. People should expect their lives to be put on hold while they enjoy prison for 5+ years.

There are lots of apps and tools to ensure you don't fly where you shouldn't (the drone software can stop you flying where you shouldn't). It's ridiculous and not accidental that some idiot can cause so much chaos and disruption to so many - they need to be caught and punished.

We're fortunate that we have a lot of "outside" but even here in Canada, it's amazing how many small airstrips, helipads and other zones are about where you can't fly and local by-laws prevent it in anything approaching residential zones without proper licensing.

Provincial parks away from anyone are best and the Rockies make a great backdrop.

This is our "backyard" now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIrkvRXHpRw

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

It could simply be youths or teenagers who without thought of consequences are just being foolhardy and thoughtless of the consequences of their actions .

I hope that`s all it is and the authorities learn how to deal with this in future .

Maybe their needs to be more controls and restrictions on who can own and fly a drone..

Simon that was beautiful , I loved that , that is paradise on earth now .

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

Simon, your backyard, unspoiled by man, is beautiful.

My decision to move to Fuerteventura came after a WT talk on how the speaker imagined "paradise earth" to be and the picture he was painting was not my idea of paradise at all. My idea of paradise was the golden sands and aqua seas of my recent holiday.

I decided I didn't want to wait for Armageddon and when I found out moving there I could be mortgage free and have a swimming pool and money for a brand new car and a whole year before i needed to find a job a For Sale sign was erected in our front garden and I car booted and ebayed everything we weren't taking in a suitcase.

9 weeks after my holiday we landed in El Matoral, me, 2 young children, 14 suitcases and a bike!

£750 worth of excess baggage. Lol

A decision I will never regret.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Wow Amelia you really went for it! Much admiration.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit