JW mention in Geography book

by Nihilistic Journey 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Nihilistic Journey
    Nihilistic Journey

I was reading a book exploring he relationship between Geography and religion and found the following quote starting on page 121 of Chris Park's Sacred Worlds.

Park, C. C. (1994). Sacred worlds: an introduction to geography and religion. London: Routledge.

One of the most dynamic religious groups in terms of disseminating its beliefs is the Jehovah’s Witnesses. This unorthodox Christian group was founded as the People’s Pulpit Association in 1884 by Charles Taze Russell. Its legal name is the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society, although since 1931 it has been unofficially known as Jehovah’s Witnesses. The pacifist group claims to have up to 200 million followers world-wide. It propagates its own (allegedly infallible) version of the Bible, rejects all other religions as false or evil, and believes that a final battle (Armageddon) is imminent after which the Witnesses will rule the earth with Christ.

The Jehovah’s Witnesses was mainly an American movement until 1911–12 when Russell made a world-wide evangelising tour. Evangelism and conversion of non-believers are high on the Witnesses’ corporate and personal agendas, and great time, energy and resources are invested in house-calling and distribution of religious literature (including magazines, books, tracts and bibles). Landing’s (1982) study of the diffusion of the Jehovah’s Witnesses in Spain between 1921 and 1946 offers little detail of how the process worked, but the overview does highlight some important factors. The Jehovah’s Witness movement entered Spain by relocation diffusion. A native Spaniard Witness was sent from Brooklyn in 1921 to begin preaching among the Asturias miners near the city of Oviedo. Presumably this group of potential converts had been carefully identified and deliberately targeted, but we are not told why. The pioneer missionary was recalled to the United States in 1924 and replaced by Spanish-speaking English missionaries. The focus of evangelism was also switched to the large cities of Madrid, Barcelona and Valencia. The missionaries’ messages were well received, and within two years (by 1926) Jehovah’s Witness congregations had been founded in the major cities. The Witnesses denounced both Communism and Fascism in their preaching, and met little opposition amongst the largely illiterate population. Most converts were won in the provinces with left-wing populations, and in the industrial and commercial centres of Valencia, Barcelona, Bilbao and Madrid. Given the prominence which Jehovah’s Witnesses attach to disseminating their beliefs, and the enthusiasm and commitment with which they do so in many countries, it is perhaps surprising that more geographical studies have not focused on the diffusion of this particular religious innovation.

• Saename
    Saename
    The pacifist group claims to have up to 200 million followers world-wide . . . and believes that a final battle (Armageddon) is imminent after which the Witnesses will rule the earth with Christ.

A bit misleading, if you ask me.

1) It's not a pacifist group.

2) They don't claim to have 200 million followers as far as I know. I think they claim to have... 20 million? Around 8 million are baptised, and the rest are "interested" (they attend the Memorial, etc.)

3) They don't exactly claim that they will rule the earth after Armageddon. I mean... it's partially true, but only partially. They claim the 144,000 will rule the earth along with Jesus and Jehovah, and the rest (millions of them) will live on the earth, as Witnesses also, under their rule. I think this difference is important to stress because someone who doesn't know this cult intimately would get the wrong idea after reading the sentence in this book.

• Darkknight757
    Darkknight757

I wonder if the 200 million was just a typo left unchecked?

Either way a pacifist is:

a person who believes that war and violence are unjustifiable.

That is a far throw from what the JW's believe with their Armageddon teaching.

• Nihilistic Journey
    Nihilistic Journey

Just out of curiosity why wouldn't you say it's a pacifist group? I seem to recall a lot of articles celebrating how many JW went to prison rather than war. How the song in the brown book was written by a JW in a nazi camp for refusing to fight ( was it We Are Jehovah's Witnesses?)

As far as I know he did get the number very wrong!

• Darkknight757
    Darkknight757

It will take a war that will literally kill billions in order for them to be saved into paradise.

Yes, they do not engage in war now, but they pray for the deaths of all who do not satisfy their Heavenly Fathers "will". (Unknown to them sadly)

• steve2
    steve2

Just out of curiosity why wouldn't you say it's a pacifist group?

Because pacifism espouses non-violent solutions, arguing violence is never justified, whereas as JWs themselves point out, they believe that Jehovah will wreak vengeance and destruction upon all human governments and their supporters at Armageddon.

It is probably more accurate to describe JWs as conscientious objectors.

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

Hi Nihilistic Journey!

Just out of curiosity why wouldn't you say it's a pacifist group? I seem to recall a lot of articles celebrating how many JW went to prison rather than war. How the song in the brown book was written by a JW in a nazi camp for refusing to fight ( was it We Are Jehovah's Witnesses?)

They're conscientious objectors (regarding purely secular affairs) - they're definitely not pacifists as they believe - and support - in Armageddon which they understand will be the biggest war that the earth has ever seen.

It's the Society of Friends / Quakers who are noted as being pacifists.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

An interesting quote. I presume the original is in Spanish? And intended for a Spain readership?

• Nihilistic Journey
    Nihilistic Journey

An interesting quote. I presume the original is in Spanish? And intended for a Spain readership?

The original paper was

Landing, J. (1982) A case study in the geography of religion; the Jehovah’s Witnesses in Spain, 1921–1946. Bulletin, Association of North Dakota Geographers 32; 42–7

• Nihilistic Journey
    Nihilistic Journey

Maybe it was when or where I grew up but I was always conditioned to believe that I could save everyone by going out in FS. I was scared to death of Armageddon for myself and everyone else. I spent every summer vacation in FS 7 days a week. I went out every non-meeting evening after school. I never saw anyone wanting death and destruction but rather a reason to go out with diligence to save them. At most I saw an acceptance of what had to happen.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit