Charles Darwin was not an Atheist

by LAWHFol 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Simon
    Simon
    Is there any way we could just start a new forum that couldn’t be accessed without a second membership to just deal with Evolution, Darwin, Dawkins etc etc.
    That's not a bad idea clambake. Kind of like the StackExchange sites layout.

I don't think it fits with topics like this as it does fit with the subject matter of this forum - if you don't want to discuss evolution, just don't read / post on such topics.

But if people want separate forums for non JW-related topics then that is in the works.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

My response to my "In" family when interrogated about "what I believe". It used to make me anxious because i want to tell the truth about what I don't believe in, but not give them ammo to spew witness rhetoric at me. So now when asked my response is simple.

I believe what I know to be true.

• LAWHFol
    LAWHFol

Landy - When you say "god of the gaps"...

Is the meaning of that, when someone cant explain an occurrence or phenomenon, they just say "Must be God"

?

• Landy
  • LAWHFol
    LAWHFol

freemind - That takes A LOT of self control.. i wish that I would have displayed more self control about my Beliefs, when i came out of the Org.

Especially since most of the things I believed to be true when i came out, have completely changed.

• LAWHFol
    LAWHFol
    Thanks Landy - I think that science is better off (generally speaking), operating as though there is no God.. This likely drives them to much deeper understandings.
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Charles Darwin was not an Atheist - so what?

Darwin rightly has been recognised as one that did a great deal in advancing our understanding of the natural world.

But his opinions and belief/non-belief matter little to me ...

• LAWHFol
    LAWHFol

loveuni - Many people assume that Darwin, was an Atheist. I feel that assumptions are harmful, when one is trying to re-create their belief sets.

One assumption that got many of us... "We have the Truth"

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

Just remember not to blur the lines of wanting to believe something and REALLY believing it. I'd kinda like to believe in aliens, but I don't go around telling people I do, because I can't, I have no proof. That's a profound thing about this icon from the xfiles, notice it says "want to believe". Its ok to search and wonder about things, but belief is very valuable and should be hard to come by. Don't give it away unless its worth it.

• cofty
    cofty
    Is there any way we could just start a new forum that couldn’t be accessed without a second membership to just deal with Evolution, Darwin, Dawkins etc etc. - Clambake

Creationism is a fundamental doctrine of JWs so evolution will always be a valid topic.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit