another reason pandemic benefits org

by Magnum 10 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Magnum
    Magnum

I've already posted in an earlier thread how the pandemic benefits the org in that it presents it an excuse to go completely electronic and sell all buildings (if that's what it wants). However, there is another way the pandemic benefits the org; it presents it an excuse for declining numbers.

Many of us have wondered just how much of a downturn there's been in JW land in recent years. We've wondered whether the org was playing with the numbers to make the situation appear better than it was. I've also wondered what was going to happen when the real situation just couldn't be hidden anymore - sort of like when a Ponzi scheme starts to collapse.

Now, though, the org can sort of "hide" the real situation behind the pandemic. It now has an excuse for low preaching hours, low Bible studies, poor meeting attendance, etc. It can probably even find a way to blame declining publisher numbers on the pandemic. It can now present the real numbers and stop sweating.

• oppostate
    oppostate

I think if the figures start going south they wont report them and only highlight positive percentages here and there as silly as these may be

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

Don't forget that pre '75 there was a big blip. There was boost as people hedged their bets just in case. Some undoubtedly think of the pandemic as a tangible 'sign' and will seek redemption accordingly. It didn't last post '75 and it won't last post pandemic but I think it will give a temporary boost attracting the paranoid fringe.

I may be wrong but that's human nature.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

I’ve always argued, by extension of , LDS statistics that WT isn’t playing with numbers. I believe wt numbers to be totally transparent and if anything underestimates membership growth.

• IWant2Leave
    IWant2Leave

@joe134cd

• "I believe wt numbers to be totally transparent and if anything underestimates membership growth."

As a former elder of 25 years and congregation secretary, congregation elders do all that they can to keep the numbers up! They call irregular or inactive ones and badger until they pull field service time from the air. The reporting of 15 minute increments for older and infirmed was simply to keep publisher count up. Remember In Africa JW's were crossing crocodile infested waters to get to the meetings and field service, preaching from an iron lung, and witnessing without arms and legs, and then bam, only 15 minutes per month and you remain a regular publisher. I don't believe the 8.6 million for one second!

• carla
    carla

One other thing it allows them is to at every damn opportunity in the current world situation (pandemic, mayhem, etc..) they can slip in "it will all be better some day". It is driving me nuts, I know full well my jw is dreaming of paradise earth and not that anything will get better in our lifetime.

• Overrated
    Overrated

All of this reminds me of a cartoon where there is a bus called Watchtower going in circles with a sign posted with "Paradise just around the corner"! I'm glad I'm off that endless bus route to nowhere.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

IWant2Leave - Well if that be true the JW wouldn’t be the only organisation doing it. I not only would suggest that Wt is been honest with its counting methods, but I would also go so far to say, that the preaching work has been so successful that it would make apple computers proud to have a customer base like that.

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/5926017217593344/lds-statistics-extension-may-suggest-that-jws-could-bigger-more-engaged-membership

• goingthruthemotions
    goingthruthemotions

Magnum,

Great post....it also benefits them in this pandamic if they shrink or grow. i.e. if they shrink, then it shows the end ever so close because sky daddy is weeding out the flock. If they see growth sky daddy is drawing all the faithful and the end is ever so close.

The sad part is, people like my brainwashed wife will go with either and say " see its proof we are in the end times " there is no winning with the brainwashed PIMI mind.

I was reading a book an ex jw wrote and he talks about getting people out of the cult. He said he spoke with one lady and asked if he could proof with 110% that the Org was false would she leave. And she NO, she will follow the Org no matter what. He then state....the person had other reasons for being in. Maybe a Social status or something.

This is my wife, she has no real clue as to what they actually teach. Its a Social club for her, she will never leave!!! This sucks, because it shows how small minded my wife could be.

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

From what I hear the Nov. Wt. Is preparing the flock for a lot more k.h selloffs!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit