Donating Blood a Disfellowshipping Offense?

by HiddenPimo 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• HiddenPimo
    HiddenPimo

When I served as an elder I never heard of this scenario presenting itself - Giving Blood.

Has anyone heard of a Judicial case where a person donated and was disfellowshipped? Are there any references to this in the JW publications, manuals, handbooks?

Thanks,

Not so Hiddenpimo :-)

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

A quick look tbrough the 2019 "Shepherding the Flock" book (online) showed that it only refers to receiving blood.

Hmmm. My opinion would be that if a JW did this and was unrepentant , then he would most lilely be considered to have disassociated himself. But I have been out of the loop for a number of years.

Like you, I never came accross such a case.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte
    Once blood exits your system, your supposed to "throw it away on the ground". You are not allowed to store your own blood because of this. Hence, giving blood would be a disfellowshipping offence.
  • EverApostate
    EverApostate

What about providing our blood for a Health check up. The lab takes 5 tubes of blood now and they are stored until they are tested.

Every JW provides blood for a Health check up atleast once a year.

So you can provide blood to save yourself but cannot provide blood to save others ?

When you ask a JW about this, what would be their answer ?

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

By giving blood for the purpose of transfusion, you are making a stand against the no blood doctrine and would be seen as an act of apostasy.

If the matter was presented to the elders they would ask why and if there was no pursuance of repentance that person could find themselves in hot water, maybe even Dfed

• shadow
    shadow

Is ok as long as split into acceptable fractions

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte
    What about providing our blood for a Health check up.

Interesting point. If they were taking the law of the bible to the letter, they would indeed be against this type of usage for blood. However, like their rule on the "Sub components of blood", they decided to draw the line there, because they said so.

• JimmyYoung
    JimmyYoung

My guess would be that it would not be a dfing offense but you would not be able to keep or have privileges.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

This would be "delicate" ground to tread.

For example, if you had a family member that required Factor VIII (for clotting), could you donate your blood to help contribute to their needs. Factor VIII is one of the JW "fractions" that is acceptable. I cannot image Red Cross giving you any kind of "guarantee" that your blood would go to that cause.

• Fadeaway1962
    Fadeaway1962

W61 1/15 p63-64

Not sure how to put link to w/tower library

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit