" We don't need no university education"

by The Rebel 16 Replies latest jw friends

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

I left school at 16, because I was studying and getting the best " university education" in the world.

How did the theocratic ministry school benefit you?

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

The TMS was a forced education during my childhood. The outcome was possitive, it gave me good skills for presentation and marketing.

Later on in life, a bachelor and master degree showed me that there is more in life 😎 then TMS and Awake! academy.

If you want to archive something in life, choose for the best education.

G.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

TMS may or may not have helped other than giving me opportunities to prove to myself I had the skill set for public speaking.

I was already baptized and 15 years old when I first joined the TMS. I remember giving my first talk, the old #2. No one realized it was my first talk.

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

G. " If " u" want to achieve something in life, choose the best education"

And whilst I appreciate you got something positive from the TMS, I am honestly not sure I did. Anyway i am glad I can teach my boy to knock on different educational opportunities.

p.s respect for your further educational achievements.

truth-b-known:- I appreciate your comment about skills for public speaking, but personally I believe I (we) would have learnt this skill regardless.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

TMS may or may not have helped other than giving me opportunities to prove to myself I had the skill set for public speaking.

Same here. The TMS didn't actually teach me anything, it just put me on the platform and gave me the opportunity to speak publicly. I really enjoyed it to be honest but i never listened to the feedback, just nodded along and critiqued myself.

• vivalavida
    vivalavida

In my case, I must say that it definitely helped me in several ways.

1. Like others mentioned, public speaking.
    2. Not really being afraid to go to a person and start talking to them. I mean, I knocked on so many doors and "tried" to talk to people. When it worked, I did have excellent conversations which very often deviated from the religious subjects we were peddling. Interestingly, Tim Ferriss in his "4 Hour Work Week" book has an exercise that is very similar to doing street preaching work. You know, go talk to people you do not know out there to build your confidence. Obviously a completely different goal and message, but exactly the same action. Lol!
    3. It did teach me to focus on one thing for more than one hour. This I have used to learn about so many different things in life, without having to actually go to school or something. My kids (who have never ever been to a kingdom hall) cannot concentrate on something for more than 10 minutes or less. They cannot understand how I watch educational youtube videos for longer than one hour, just to mention an example.

So, I would say that yes, I did get some benefits from the TMS and the field work. Although, if I take a look from a broader perspective, the disadvantages are much bigger than those few benefits.

My two cents after a long time of inactivity... lol

• tiki
    tiki

It did wonders to reinforce my anxiety/panic disorder. And field service completely cemented it.

• Giordano
    Giordano

When I got on the small platform to give my TMS talk at age 15 my Ego adjusted the mike.

At 18 I was turned loose to give the one hour public talk all over the circuit (where the need was greatest).....guess who was driving my car?

Eventually I married and my feet finally touched ground.

Kinda because while I would introduce her as the love of my life she would introduce me as her current husband.

• Giordano
    Giordano

The most difficult job in giving a talk was not sounding like a robotic JW. That mealy

condescending voice...... oh so earnestly reeking with patronizing superiority.

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

I have this vivid memory of being a child in the 1980s when we had a CO visit. He stood up there, held up an Awake bound volume, and said that reading a year's worth of Awake magazines was equivalent to one year of a college education.

That "fact" was still being repeated 15 years later when I was a young adult. It wasn't until I started waking up that even the concept of challenging such an "established truth" became possible. It seems absurd to me now in hindsight that the 150 or so people in attendance would just nod along approvingly to such a ridiculous proposition.

As far the the TMS goes, it was of marginal utility. I was in a Spanish congregation and I suppose it forced me to learn some of the finer points of the language that I might not otherwise have had the occasion to drill down on.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit