Try to See Elders as Jehovah Sees Them

by jgnat 10 Replies latest watchtower bible

• jgnat
    jgnat

WT March 15, 2003 April 27 study, Try to See Others as Jehovah Sees Them

The theme of this week’s article is to disbelieve the evidence and always trust Jehovah’s man. The logic goes something like this:

“Oops. Jehovah’s man just did something stupid. Jehovah must have made a mistake in picking that man. Wait a minute, Jehovah never makes a mistake. Since Jehovah never makes a mistake, we should not judge what that man did as stupid. We will just have to look harder for redeeming qualities of Jehovah’s man.”

This article profiles Jonah and Peter. It suggests these men, though they displayed moments of weakness, it did not mean that Jehovah made a mistake by choosing them. This is WT logic at it’s best. If the bible account does not line up with what we think Jehovah is like, we’re just not working hard enough to understand the bible account aright. Must adjust thinking...must adjust thinking. Let’s see what happens if I apply this same WT logic to another Bible character beloved by the WTS. A short chronology of his life choices,

When offered a choice by the peaceable Abraham, Lot picked the best land. He becomes a soft and greedy urban dweller. In Sodom (Genesis 13:8-11). He is kidnapped by invaders and has to be rescued by his uncle (Gen 14:12). You would think this traumatic event would convince him to move. But no! Years later he is still living in Sodom when he proves to be a good host. He entertains a couple of angels (Gen 19:1). To save his guests, he offered his daughters to a whoring mob, barely rescued by the angels (Gen 19:8). He has to run for his life when the angels destroy Sodom. His daughters, believing they were the last people on earth, got their dad drunk and slept with him (Gen 19:31-38). Thus he fathered the Ammonites and the Moabites, favoured enemies of Israel.

If Lot were described in this article, perhaps it would go something like this:

What comes to your mind when you think of Lot? Do you think of him as a weak, grasping individual who chose soft living to his detriment? A superficial look at him might yield such a conclusion. But did God use him as a faithful Witness in Sodom because he was weak? Of course not! Lot must have had some desirable qualities. Consider his record as a good host. He entertained a couple of angels (Gen 19:1). To save his guests, he offered his daughters to a whoring mob (Gen 19:8). He endured living in wicked Sodom for years, as he patiently waited for Jehovah to destroy his evil neighbours. When he knew that destruction of Sodom was at hand he begged his sons-in-law to leave, even though they thought he was joking. Are we not glad to serve a God who does not give up on hi servants even when they make mistakes?

Much of the Hebrew Scriptures is a dispassionate account of Israel’s history. We should never assume that Jehovah approved of everything the men of the bible did.

How easy it is for humans to err in their assessment of others! para. 2 Well, yes, it is easy for us to make mistakes about people, since we do not have the ability to look in to men’s hearts. What this article fails to mention is the possibility that the WTS might have made the occasional mistake when choosing Jehovah’s man. What is a faithful servant of the WTS to do then? Try real hard to ignore the evidence in front of him? There was an easy test that proved that David measured up, and Eliab didn’t. In the vale of Elah (1 Samuel 17:2-54). Do all elders today stand up to the test?

• Warrigal
    Warrigal

I think when God turns on the lights he sees them scuttlling about like cockroaches. Squish.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    Oops. Jehovah’s man just did something stupid. Jehovah must have made a mistake in picking that man. Wait a minute, Jehovah never makes a mistake. Since Jehovah never makes a mistake, we should not judge what that man did as stupid. We will just have to look harder for redeeming qualities of Jehovah’s man

Typical black and white thinking. The obvious question to ask here is not "Can Jehovah make mistakes?" but "Does Jehovah really pick his men through this org?"

• metatron
    metatron

What would be the mark of a faithful humble man, who like all of us, makes mistakes?

He would be willing to say:

"I apologize, I was wrong"

You'll never hear or read these words come from the arrogant Watchtower Society, no matter how many false prophecies

they get caught in or lives they injure.

Case closed

metatron

• rocketman
    rocketman

Indeed. Good comment metatron. As mentioned in Blondie's WT study thread this week, they write stuff they themselves do not apply.

• Maverick
    Maverick

Stephanus hit it right on the head. Another case of false logic. Man makes error, man picked by God, God can't make errors, then man did not err. It follows right on through, just like a pretzel! Maverick

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Warrigal I like what you said:

think when God turns on the lights he sees them scuttlling about like cockroaches. Squish.

I'm so ashamed to say this but I really thought the Elder's were picked by Jehovah and when THEY prayed Jehovah replied and what action they took was godsent.......... Then I learned differently! I really wish the WTS would get over the "anointed by Jah" crap! Jehovah/God has nothing to do with these IMPERFECT MEN OR WITH THE WTS!

my .02

Katie

• gumby
    gumby

Gee.....even Jesus picks people whom he KNOWS will fail. He picked Judah's Iscariot didn't he? Or didn't he know his heart? ( oh wait I forgot.....Jesus had to fullfil scripture )

Gumby

• jgnat
    jgnat

Wow. Great comments, guys!

Warrigal - scuttling cockroaches! "Who turned on the light? Shut it off! Shut it off!"
    Stephanus - You found the right question! Oh, if only that question would show up as a footnote on the article.
    Metratron - "I was wrong". Tough enough to say in a marriage. Even tougher for them. But what a cost to the membership when they don't say it!
    Rocketman - too true, too true. "Do as I say, not as I do."
    Maverick - "Follows through like a pretzel." That makes me laugh.
    Bikerchic - being among the rare anointed sure must be a heavy burden. You are right. These guys would be much closer to normal if they would drop the charade.
    Gumby - Actually, it gives me a lot of comfort to think He would give even seriously flawed people a chance.

How could these ordinary men have strayed so far from light and love and truth? I think bikerchic has part of the answer. They set themselves up as Jehovah's exclusive mouthpiece. Such a declaration must go to one's head. Any one of us can go down the path of denial if we chose to preserve what we have in preference to the painful truth about ourselves. I pray I always stay open to correction.

• minimus
    minimus

I think the Society puts articles like these out every once in a while because they like to mix things up and give a different slant to things. I didn't think the "slave" was focusing on elders as much as they were stressing to the rank and file that there are lots and lots of imperfect people in the brotherhood.So get over it.......Every couple of years, a writer will stress a totally different way of looking at something. Then the congregation can rave about the new lite or new perspective that we never would have even thought about had the "slave" not brought it up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit