JW.Org Content on My Amazon Echo (Alexa)

by BluesBrother 9 Replies latest jw friends

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I don’t know how well known this is , perhaps everybody knows? But you can now enable a JW.org. Skill on Alexa and you too can hear the daily text, W/Tower material, Kingdom songs , selections from broadcasts , audio Bible dramas ...and more from your Echo device

What fun!

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Bluesbrother ...

Thanks for the info.

I do have an elderly uncle and aunt who struggle with technology and even have problems at times figuring the jw dot org stuff due to their eyesight. Even switching over to the Roku from the remote and then back can be a challenge. I am the one that ends up going to their place and try to explain how all the stuff works.

If the Echo does the daily text and maybe the study article from the WT for the week, that would really save me a lot of aggravation when they get "stuck" with something and I get that phone call asking for help.

I will check out the Echo since I do not have one of these devices in my own home. I do see they have a Gen 3 thing for about $100 on amazon. I also see they have a 3.5 audio jack on the back which would be good if the sound coming from the small speaker is not the best.

Rub a Dub

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

That's it - I'm definitely not buying an Echo device now - now - now - now - now!!

• LV101
    LV101

What's the diff between Echo and Alexa? I've noticed the Alexa at times doesn't respond or if I don't yell the command slowly it gets confused and just goes off. Is this normal -- seems strange since it's plugged into hard wire.

• LV101
    LV101

Blues - guess from your topic title the ole Echo is Alexa/DUH --Too many names for tower spies but it's sure convenient.

• Spiral
    Spiral

@RubaDub, they are worth the money because once the elderly person learns to talk to it, Alexa/Echo will read all that stuff...... so you don't have to. And they can listen to news, their own music, all sorts of stuff, and can get it started on their own.

These devices save me lots of time and aggravation at home.

Meanwhile, I use mine to listen to music (and drown out the sound of the JW stuff being played downstairs).

A win for me, in any case!

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Spiral ...

Thank you. I will have one ordered today and get down the basics for jw dot org before I give it to them. I can see how it would be good for someone older that cannot really read that well anymore and well, technically challenged.

I don't mind helping them but it's the same thing over and over ... can't find this, where is the remote, are the batteries good, why does the GB use Roku instead of a regular channel, blah blah blah.

Since it plugs in, they can just sit in their house and listen to the stuff all day ... that would be great for me!

Rub a Dub

• Spiral
    Spiral

Rub A Dub, I hear you! It can take all day just managing the TV for my Mom.

The Alexa/Echo will have to learn their voices, so there's a bit of a learning period, but my Mom can start her music every day, and ask for news, weather, etc., without my help. You can also control it indirectly via the app. This helps when you need to turn the volume down, etc. Lots of music to listen to (Amazon music or Pandora) which is a big help too. You can also do video calls with others who have one.

For the JW stuff, you'll need to enable it (maybe via the app, not sure). It will read the Bible to them too.

• sir82
    sir82

"Alexa, tell me how Lett manages to do all that $#!+ with his face."

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

My Echo is scheduled to be here tomorrow ...I will set it up for my uncle and aunt to get the jw dot org stuff.

I hope their Alexa is not an apostate .... he he he. That would be interesting.

Rub a Dub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit