lonliness, doormats and making friends

by SpiceItUp 15 Replies latest jw friends

• SpiceItUp
    SpiceItUp

Had a conversation today about how when people leave the dubs, or make any other major life decisions, that you end up being lonely. All your "friends that you used to have are no longer there and you have to start afresh.

I remember when I was younger, right when I quit the meetings, I would do anything just to make people like me. I would become their personal doormat just so I would get that attention I craved. It worked for a while but soon I realized that that wasn't me that they liked. It was some person/personality made up just to fit in their world and I wasn't happy with that.

It takes alot of time to realize that you don't have to try so hard to make friends. You don't have to be what you think they want you to be. And if they don't like you in spite of that thats ok too. I saw a quote somewhere that I really liked: "Id rather be disliked for who I am than liked for who I am not". It rings so true unfortuantely its not always the easiest lesson to learn. In a way I foiled quite a few "friendships" because I did what ever it took to be someone they would like instead of letting them like the real me. In the end we are no longer friend....if we ever really were to begin with.

Do you find that when faced in sitations such as that, that you will do almost anything just so you won't have that empty hole? Just so you won't be lonely?

• Lost Diamond
    Lost Diamond

First of all, we must not let anybody have control over us. We shouldn't feel that we have to live up to anybody's standards....we must be true to ourselves! This is part of the JW thinking....letting others control us and pass judgement on us. To hell about what anybody thinks of us!!

If we are just ourselves, then we will attract people that are compatable to us. That means that we too should not pass judgement on anybody else.....what makes us so superior? Live and let live is what I say.

Just go out and meet people. If you are happy with yourself, then you will radiate this and you will welcome new friends. Just don't feel that you need to live up to anybody else's standards. We are free from that! Just be yourself without feeling you have to be somebody's door mat....because you are perfect just the way you are!

• Maverick
    Maverick

As you think, so shall you become. But to thwine own self be true. Know who you are first, (this is impossible as an active J-dud), learn to be comfortable with this person and others will be comfortable with you too. Maverick

• DanielHaase
    DanielHaase

That's a tricky one. I think I was always lonely, whether I was a dub or not. Now it's much more overt. After being D/F'd my wife and I split up; I moved out here to Colorado for a "fresh start" and such, but it's not easy at all. Good luck.

• Granny Linda
    Granny Linda

Good Morning, Spice.

It's good that you reconize this at a young age. It took me many years to find recovery and I'll not trade in for anyone or anything.

Rember, too, that even the seemingly happiest and most liked person can experience those times of lonliness. It's how we deal with this personal awakening, or so is my opinion. Just sharing your story is healthy, and it does help others... such as myself. I was not always this strong-willed woman. Although there are times I need to be a little less aggressive. But even that goes back to old thinking that I should never express my opinion when it goes contrary to the "crowd." I do understand the difference between assertiveness and aggression. And there are those who don't like it when we find our own. They cannot control us. And human nature seems to dictate that in every crowd, no matter their background, when they can't have things their way...well, they just don't like it.

I do care what some people think of me. Even though we "know" not to be judging others according to our standards, what else is there, eh. People are going to take notice of what type person we are. I'd rather the decent side of humanity reconizes the good. And all that means for me at this moment is that I do not live my life in fear, guilt, and shame. OH, I can get pretty riled about people at times, but in the end, I'm no better. I've just learned how to turn those negatives into a positive. And that's the message of hope. We don't have too stay locked into the old thinking. It takes PRACTICE, PATIENCE, and just getting older - gaining more maturity.

So remember that when people cross our path for however long a time, they are our teachers. You can release them in love. Take your new found self-knowledge and move forward.

Granny, of the talkative class today.

Love ya'll

• Francois
    Francois

This is a tough one.

Many people who post here, and who have the problem of making new friends and such were born and raised in Da Troof. Because of that, they have no idea who they are.

When I was 18 years old, I got my first job as a Top 40 Disc Jockey. The other DJs, in an effort to help the new kid, were all full of advice. A couple of them said, "Don't try to sound like Doug or Danny or anybody else on the air. Just be yourself." And I remember thinking, "I don't know who that is." And I didn't.

It took a long, long time for me to figure out who I am, and I'm still not sure all these years later. In addition to being more or less brought up in the JWs, I also was raised in an utterly dysfunctional family. The name of that game was to do anything it took to keep the old man from losing his cool...anything.

So trying to figure out who you are in these circumstances can be very hard to do. And I'd say that most families that are involved in the JWs are dysfunctional in some way, to some degree.

Just thought I'd throw that in. And if you have a technique for discovering who you are, why don't you post it so those among us who don't really know will have a clue as to where to start?

francois

• wednesday
    wednesday

Long before i quit attending , i just sort of woke up one day and realized i had no emotions. I had no thoughts of my own. I would say"well, ******* says, or the WTBS says, whatever, never a thought of my own. I grew up in an abusive family, where mental illness and alochol were big problems. I found myself taking on other peoples' persnality's -people that seemed to get on well. eventually, all systems broke down and i became very ill. After years of therapy, and tears, i now am a lot happier with myself, and realize that had i not been born into the org. i probably would have never joined.

But to aquire friends, one must first like themsef and see themself as a worthy person to associate with. B/c of th jw rules, i did not see myself that way for so long.

They are evil to do this to people.

now i do find, that if i just smile a lot, people are drawn to me. If i frown , they are not.

a therapist once told me"fake it until u can make it"It may seem artifical at first, but if u keep smiling, u will feel better.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Well, I was never a JW, but I know all about abuse. Thanks to my ex-husband. It took about a year before I started thinking for myself again. (Wednesday, I can relate so well to what you described. I felt like I was a series of masks, each ready for whoever I meet. Behind the masks? A black hole. I had lost the ability to feel.) It was many years past before I would trust another with my heart. I needed other people to point out my weird behavior, as I was not completely aware of it myself. One counsellor told me to look in the mirror daily and tell myself I was beautiful. She also taught me to accept compliments graciously (This is more important than at first blush. I was so convinced I was worthless, I had a heck of a time accepting that I did anything well). She also tried to get me to stop slouching, but that worked less well. I started to stand tall later, when I really started to feel better.

About friendships, I found it a complete waste of time to drown in my self-pity. I was a much better person (and more attractive to others) when I focused outside of myself. I looked for ways to help, to make a difference. A natural introvert, I analyzed extrovert behavior and adapted a few techniques.

• On the phone with someone new, write down the name as soon as they say it. Use their name several times in the conversation, and end the call with their name. Smile while you talk.
    • Eye contact and firm handshake. Smile when you talk to people.
    • Be interested in them. Ask questions about their interests.
    • Remember that nearly everybody suffers from loneliness, and worries that people won't like them. That means that most of the world is just like you! Give them a gift. Become their friend.
    • Get to know your neighbours. Make the effort, and invite them over for coffee. Ask your neighbours to pick up your mail when you go on holidays. Give them a goofy gift as a thank you.
    • Wave like a madman when you see someone you know on the street. I learned this in Innisfail, and drives my urban daughter absolutely insane. If your daughter is with you, holler "yoo hoo".

People who meet me are unaware that my outgoing traits are learned behavior. I have discovered that happy, independent people are friend magnets. Sometimes a depressed friend will complain to me they have no friends. On analyzing their life, I often discover that they are really complaining they have no interesting friends. Go on, look around you and discover the very interesting details of the people in your life. Live in a cave? Volunteer at a senior's centre. I can guarantee there are a bunch of interesting people there just itching for someone to come bend an ear.

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

Jgnat,

I couldn't agree more.

• Scully
    Scully

No matter how much we yearn for friendships and relationships that are totally accepting and allow us to be who we are "warts and all", the reality is that just about everyone has boundaries that they will not allow other people to cross. That makes us all "conditional" friends in one way or another.

I think that's a healthy thing to a certain degree, otherwise we'd be giving money to people who would never repay us, or would squander our resources on booze, drugs, etc. We'd be giving of ourselves to people whose sole purpose in life is to see how much of other people's resources they can suck from them. There are such things as emotional vampires who drain life from others, and take all the time but never offer anything in return. Or people who ask you to do things for them, and make promises of reciprocation and never follow through with them. Are those the kinds of friends you want? Of course not, so you create conditions. Your subconscious sets a kind of alarm at the point where what you put into a relationship and what you get back become off-kilter and you experience severe discomfort when that level is reached.

Everybody's "point of diminishing returns" is different. What you are willing to invest in a friendship should ideally be balanced with the rewards you derive from your investment. If the rewards stop coming, even though your investment remains constant, a person becomes frustrated and eventually - if allowed to continue for long enough (again that is very individual) - resentment builds up. You then reach a point where you have to decide whether you want to re-define the relationship so that it again becomes comfortable for you to deal with. You may decide to re-define it such that you never speak to the individual again, or perhaps you decide that it's best to maintain an arm's-length or strictly professional approach to the person. You can't beat yourself up for what's happened. What is done, is DONE. Everyone needs some kind of self-protective measures so they can feel empowered in and of themselves, rather than being stuck in some kind of emotional and psychological rut with dead-end relationships.

One of the cool things about doing this, is that you don't have to go making an announcement to the person that Hey, I've redefined our friendship and I'm kicking your ass to the curb. You can keep that information to yourself. If it's bad enough that you have to kick someone's ass to the curb, they probably don't really give a damn anyway.

On finding out who you are once you've peeled away all the JW crap... that's a little more difficult. Wanting to be liked and accepted is normal, and we all tend to modify our behaviour depending on our circumstances and who we're with and where we happen to be at a given point in time. For example: at work, we maintain a level of professional decorum. But away from work, we tend to be more relaxed and can "loosen up" a bit. Even if we get together with workmates after hours/off site there's a shift in how we relate to one another. You may even have someone from work who turns out to be a good friend, and you can really let loose and share some excellent camraderie with them, and do stuff together that you wouldn't do with anyone else at work. All of that is OK too.

Whenever I watch "Shrek" and hear him say "Ogres are like onions... they have layers", I relate to peeling off all the JW stuff from my personality with the hope of eventually finding whatever is underneath all of it. Lots of the JW stuff was burying things about me that I never even knew existed. I think of it as a work in progress, and I don't think I'll ever come to a point where I can honestly say that I'm finished with it.

Love, Scully

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit