Newspaper article: Why JWs Don't Celebrate Easter

by Sugar Shane 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

@ Alive! and FayeDunaway...

Well, it was the death that "bought back mankind from sin", after all...

x

...resurrection was just dropping the mike. :smirk:

• jhine
    jhine

I had an interesting conversation with two fresh faces really sweet young male JWs yesterday ( l seem to be back on the calling list , whoopee ! )

I mentioned the memorial and asked if they celebrate the Resurrection .

The spokesman said that there is a talk about Jesus' death on the cross and why He died and that the Resurrection is mentioned as being important to the Christian faith and hope . l cannot remember his exact words .

We talked about Easter and he brought up eggs and bunnies etc . l said that you did not have to participate in those things if you don't want to .

I explained how my church has prayers on Good Friday to commemorate Jesus death , then on Easter Sunday we celebrate the Resurrection , so actually reflecting on the whole of that weekend . He asked if my church was evangelical . l said no all Christian churches celebrate Easter in that way , as the most important festival in the Christian calendar .

I then did say l don't know what you have been told about the Anglican Church , but it won't be true ! I also said that l would never become a Witness because l knew too much about the Watchtower .

They politely thanked me for the chat and left . Maybe seeds sown . if they have any questions they know where to come .

Jan

• Lieu
    Lieu

JWs don't celebrate.

They would make horrid Hebrews of old. All the Israelite festivals would be bastions of depression, focused on death.

Passover would be a wailing for slaughtered baby sheep instead of joy for said lambs blood saving people from death. Oh, and no one would celebrate the day because someone came along a thousand years later and named it Easter.

The Day of Atonement would mean a call from Bethel to PETA to stop one goat from dying for a nations sins. And one other goat from wandering over a cliff in the Grand Canyon. JWs don't like goats.

Festival of Booths, nope ...campout fun.

The Celebration of Pentacost ... well, NO celebrations! You get no fun. Besides, that's a thanks for the Mosaic Law fun time.

Abraham, Israelites, Jesus, the Apostles; they celebrated. They'd throw a huge feast (a party) just because a child was weaned. A culture which loves to dance, sing, joke, and celebrate. David was basically naked dancing and singing in the streets. Lol Its not the Lord's Evening Meal, its the friggin Passover Celebration.

These things would get you labeled unspiritual in the JW world.

Now to actually celebrate Christ's death, feeling joy at what his sacrifice did for everyone, talking about the kewl things he did and said? Being thankful that Jesus CHOSE to die for mankind, when he could have chosen otherwise? He had a choice, just as Satan and the others gone rogue had a choice. Unheard of, preposterous! He gets a mention at the end of a prayer, that's it.

JWS don't celebrate. They're Jonah and followers of Paul.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

All academic, really.

x

Deep down, the WTS forbid celebrating all those things - not because they were "pagan", or "unrighteous", or "blasphemous"...

...but because they wanted to socially isolate JWs from non-JW friends and relatives.

• Giordano
    Giordano

This seems pretty clear to me re: holidays, birthdays.

How the society gets away with their garbage in view of what the NT actually says.........

Romans 14:3 The one who eats everything must not treat with contempt the one who does not, and the one who does not eat everything must not judge the one who does, for God has accepted them.

Romans 14: 5 One person considers one day more sacred than another; another considers every day alike. Each of them should be fully convinced in their own mind.

6 Whoever regards one day as special does so to the Lord. Whoever eats meat does so to the Lord, for they give thanks to God; and whoever abstains does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit