Do You Have ALEXA?

by minimus 32 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

What’s your opinion of having Alexa ? Is it something you would get if you don’t already have it??

• stillin
    stillin

I thought it was really cool the first time I saw Alexa at somebody's home. I wanted one. But it kind of creeps me out. Too much potential for evil doers!

• SadElder
    SadElder

I have it but other than a novelty I really don't find it useful. I am in the process of doing some smarthome additions and we'll see how it meshes with that.

• LV101
    LV101

I have ALEXA -- apparently, there's options as to protecting privacy, etc. I like to plug it in at night or when I leave the house for additional security. I need to find a radio station I like that's linked with ALEXA (without ads) because I'm not impressed with the top pop station or the top most played -- or 70s/80s for that matter. I prefer the SONOS in the sound system that is wireless (so many options for great music) and has issues or has them in my house. Greatest music - so much offered. I'm not into ALEXA (but I think the younger genre love it or that's what I hear) and haven't figured out everything it will do because there's so much negative info about it. If you google I'm sure ALEXA'S options are online now.

• LauraV
    LauraV

Nah, not that lazy yet, the dumbing down of America. Alexa, what time is it? Alexa, what's the temp outside? Alexa play some good jazz music for me. Don't even have to push a button anymore, just talk.

• LV101
    LV101
    It is great to have non-stop music played - like a radio and to have set up for emergency issues (falls, etc.) for someone in your home.
  • minimus
    minimus

I don’t have it yet

• Simon
    Simon

I have the Google equivalent but have tried the Amazon one.

TL;DR review: Utter, utter SHITE, a complete waste of time. It'd be less trouble to get up and press a button on an old TV than to try and talk in a robotic-enough way that they stupid piece of crap can understand you.

Just a gimmick to show friends, then you stop using it and then you unplug it because, well, do you want unknown people listening in on your life?

• LV101
    LV101
    I think there's positive info out about it - I need to learn more about it to save me time/energy - only so much of that to go around.
  • Theonlyoneleft
    Theonlyoneleft

I don’t but my neighbours do.

I often hear them say Alexa play blah blah... from the garden while I’m inside.

Its funny because I’m almost tempted to say Alexa... stop playing 😉... or something worse 😬😬

I wouldn’t get it but I see the appeal

I’ve seen a documentary that said that the older generation are getting these things set up to combat loneliness. So sad. But I presume that works like a friend if you’re stuck at home and can’t go anywhere for a bit.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit