I Care a Lot (2020) One of the worst movies I think I've ever seen

by TD 10 Replies latest social entertainment

• TD
    TD

My wife and I were intrigued by the trailer, which looked like a humorous, over the top, dark comedy.

The story centers around the unscrupulousness of a female attorney named Marla Grayson (Rosamund Pike) who makes her living by preying on old people

Grayson has her victims declared mentally incompetent, locks them away in a care facility she has bought off and then liquidates and pockets their assets as their court appointed guardian.

(Spoilers ahead)

Ms. Grayson humorously makes the mistake of singling out a seemingly helpless retiree name Jennifer Peterson (Dianne Wiest) as her next target.

Grayson however, quickly discovers that Peterson has millions of dollars in diamonds in a safe deposit box and far from being helpless is the mother of Roman Lunyov, (Peter Dinklage) a Russian Mafia figure who is not terribly happy with this turn of events.

Up to this point, the movie was great. We have Grayson as the predatory but naive attorney who believes all conflicts are resolved in a court room and Lunyov as the angry bear who executes people for disappointing him. It could have been a very funny movie along the lines of Some Like It Hot, Wise Guys and Mickey Blue Eyes.

Only it wasn't.

It was like the original director quit half-way through and another one took over who had an entirely different vision.

The movie morphs into an empowerment piece for the female LGBTQ community without a vestige of humor or shred of realism and with a female character that was portrayed as thoroughly despicable emerging as the heroine.

Two thumbs down. --Complete waste of time IMHO

• mickbobcat
    mickbobcat

It was horrible. This movie had the ability to be good but they really screwed the pooch on this one. The very end of the end was good where she was shot in the heart. But the rest was just horrible.

• James Jack
    James Jack

The wife and I were drinking and enjoyed the movie.

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

As it is often said: SJWs ruin everything. Literally everything.

• TD
    TD

The sudden change in direction really ruins the movie for everyone. The character Marla literally does not have a single redeeming characteristic and is nobody even the SJW crowd would want.

Worse, all the wildly improbable plot elements which should have been funny suddenly have to be taken seriously.

There's a scene for example where Marla is chloroformed, has half a bottle of Vodka pumped into her stomach via nasogastric tube, is placed in her car with the throttle jammed wide open and launched down a hill towards a river.

Not only does Marla magically wake up with all her faculties intact, she suddenly has the superhuman strength to knock the back window out of the car and escape without so much as a hangover.

Villains who refuse to die are not uncommon in comedy, (Jaws from James Bond) the supernatural, (Samara & Chucky) or science fiction (The Terminator) but it just doesn't work here.

The audience is left floundering for a plausible explanation, with some even speculating that Marla really didn't survive and everything afterwards is hallucination as she drowns.

• minimus
    minimus

I loved that movie.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Thank you for taking the trouble to Review this Movie T.D, you have saved me from wasting time watching it !

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

I loved it and they left it open for another season. She was shot, but they did not show that she died.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Hollywood is overrun with this nonsense. They'll probably nominate it for an Oscar. It will come back to bite them. People don't go to the movies to be lectured.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

TD:

Not only does Marla magically wake up with all her faculties intact, she suddenly has the superhuman strength to knock the back window out of the car and escape without so much as a hangover.

HappyDad:

She was shot, but they did not show that she died.

Yes, she died at the end. It's called dramatic irony. She (an anti-hero) 'defeats' the powerful big bad villain against all odds but gets her comeuppance from the 'little guy' (probably not an unintended metaphorical comparison to Dinklage's character) that she dismissed at the beginning of the film.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit