Will there be a sense of urgency in 30 years?

by neat blue dog 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

I think it was the Awake! magazine that used to have the statement in the inside of the cover that read: "this magazine builds confidence in the Creator's promise of a peaceful and secure new order before the generation that saw 1914 passes away". We know this ended in 1995 when the doctrine changed the meaning of the word "generation".

In 1995 this doctrine change actually got media attention. Many newspapers carried the story. I even remember someone cutting out the article from a local paper and posting it on the information board at the Kingdom Hall I attended.

That doctrine change bought the Watchtower some time. However, I think this will end up just like the Millerites of whom Charles Taze Russell based his beliefs. This was actually dramatized in the final episodes of the HBO series "The Leftovers" season two.

At some point the Watchtower can no longer kick the can down the road. This "Overlapping Generation" has an expiration date just like the original "generation that saw the event of 1914 unfold".

• pistolpete
    pistolpete

The pioneer hours have been reduce to-----whatever you can give.

District Overseers have been eliminated

There is no more house to house preaching

"No more gathering of ourselves together" at Kingdom Halls

The generation that wasn't suppose to die has already died

No more two day Kingdom halls built

Instead Kingdom Halls are being sold every week

Foreign language special meeting are being eliminated

More people are fading than ever before in Watchtower History

Once those 70 years of age and up have died in the next 30 year, millions of PIMOs will stop EVERYTHING WATCHTOWER RELATED.

The only ones left will be those with very few brain cells

NO THERE WON'T BE A SENSE OF URGENCY IN 30 YEARS

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

I have asked this to myself. Surely, in 30 or 50 years, Jdubs will realize that all of this urgency has let to nothing and will wake up, right? Well not so fast.

I then have to remind myself that they have been doing this for decades Even if a generation dies off without seeing anything that was promised to them, the new generation coming up will follow the same path with the help of some recycled beliefs and some tweaks here and there, they can also be convinced the end is just around the corner.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

There was a sense of urgency 30 years ago, 60 years ago. Parents remembered urgency 90 years ago.

The difference right now is the aging core, the internet, and the 8 clowns being in the limelight

• Jofi_Wofo
    Jofi_Wofo

YEAR 2051 - SOME KINGDOM HALL SOMEWHERE

"...and friends, what do we learn from the display of faith on the part of our dear brothers and sisters who lived through the COVID-19 pandemic? They knew that they were living in the final part of the final part of the days- shortly before the last day of the last days. That was 30 years ago. Just think about how much closer that makes us, today!"

• Jofi_Wofo
    Jofi_Wofo

It raises the interesting question of what new light will come out along the way.

- When Jesus implied that one generation can be expanded into two overlapping generations, he evidently meant that each of the overlapping generations can also be its own set of two overlapping generations. How will YOU spend your time in the remaining months before the end of this set of overlapping generations in preparation for the beginning of the next set of overlapping generations?

- We deeply thank our creator, Jehovah for revealing to us the true meaning of his word, the Bible through our new publication "What does the Bible Really, Really, Really, Really Teach? No, Seriously, This Time, We Really, Really Got it Right." Is it not exciting to finally be able unlock the divine secrets of biblical types, antitypes, prototypes, stereotypes, teletypes, astrotypes, wumbotypes, ninatypes, pintatypes and the santamariatypes?

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

NEAT BLUE DOG:

Thirty years from now? 😮 Well, if the religion is still around it will be a shadow of its former self. What is happening now will be ancient history to anybody still there.

All the Baby Boomers will be gone. These are the people who currently make up most of the congregations. They contributed the most money, were the most faithful and remember the JW religion in its glory days which are very much over. Who can say what the religion will resemble in thirty years. I think it will follow in the footsteps of other now-defunct sects in the USA.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

I see a valid point made by Redvip2000 and Jofi-Wofo. I remember the overlapping generations doctrine being introduced in 1995. I was in my early 20s, a Ministerial Servant, and as about as active as a Witness could get. I remember newspapers covering the doctrine change and interviewing longtime Witnesses who left over it. I just shrugged it off.

I also agree with Road to Nowhere - the game changer is the internet. Not just the internet, but mobile internet. I have read posters on this very website who have stated they were reading posts from this forum on their mobile device in the middle of a meeting. Now that is something I would never have dreamed of while I was a Witness.

There is no hiding the truth about the Truth anymore. The 8 Popes of Walkhill telling rank and file to ignore the man behind the curtain is like telling a child not to push the shiny, red button.

Add to that the experience one of our regular posters shared with us recently on how his PIMI family all left at once thanks to the Watchtower's response to COVID-19 lockdowns. We are 15 months into the COVID thing in the U.S. We have had 2 virtual/Zoom Memorials and now we are getting our second virtual Regional Convention. No Witness has knocked on a door in the all-important life-saving door-to-door ministry in over a year!

For over a century the Watchtower has told us that Jehovah would speed up the work during the time of the end. Yet, we have muppet Governing Body members telling us on JW Broadcast that we are in the final part of the final part of the last day while the religion as a whole has come to a screeching halt. You can't have it both ways!

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

Jofi_Wofo:

Epic parody right there, well done 👏

• Biahi
    Biahi

Great post, truthbknown, spot on! 😀👍🏻

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit