Opinions on the Divine name in the New Testament? + an interesting question

by Blotty 30 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

Slim,

I think יְהֹוָה would be pronounced YehoVAH, with the emphasis on the last syllable.

• NewLight99
    NewLight99

Wonderment stated that other organisations couldn’t keep up with the 200 languages that WT have translated the Bible into. In fact the entire Bible has been translated into well over 700 languages and the NT into well over 2000!

• Wonderment
    Wonderment
    • NewLight99: Wonderment stated that other organisations couldn’t keep up with the 200 languages that WT have translated the Bible into. In fact the entire Bible has been translated into well over 700 languages and the NT into well over 2000!

True, but these versions have been done by different individuals or entities throughout the last few centuries, not by ONE single religious entity during a timeframe of 7 decades, as is the case with the NWT.

• hooberus
    hooberus
    True, but these versions have been done by different individuals or entities throughout the last few centuries, not by ONE single religious entity during a timeframe of 7 decades, as is the case with the NWT.

The WT Society wants people to use (as much as possible) ONLY their publications when it comes to religion (WT, Awake, NWT, etc.). So they have a need to produce their own “Bible translation” in the hundreds of languages that they may have followers.

• KalebOutWest
    KalebOutWest

To Wonderment and everyone else,

I am embarrassed to admit that while I thought I did my homework, I failed to note that this was a pro-Jehovah's Witness, pro-New World Translation site/thread.

I apologize for my comments. My family hails from Israel. Speaking from someone who was raised from a secular point of view with just a short time in the JW world, I did play catch-up with my religious studies while I got on with the goings-on in Tel Aviv. I was writing from this standpoint of my familiarity with Jewish and Israeli life. I currently live in Las Vegas.

I cannot apologize enough for making such a mistake on this site. I am so sorry for the intrusion. I assure you it will never happen again.

• joey jojo
    joey jojo

I'm no bible scholar either but here are some things that I have found interesting over the years.

In an effort to support the validity of the bible, the WT claims that nothing in the bible has been changed, altered or omitted in any significant way over the centuries of translating. However, they take it upon themselves to insert Gods name in the new testament over 250 times, completely ignoring the fact it has never been found in any fragment or copy.

The oldest copies of the NT in existence are written 100 years after Jesus died. They are not complete books, only scraps of parts of scriptures.

The first complete books of the NT are dated to the 3rd century, not the complete bible- only some books.

The first complete NT bible, the codex sinaiticus doesnt appear until the 4th century.

None of the gospels were eyewitness accounts and the originals werent written until decades after the death of Jesus.

Luke and Paul never met Jesus, yet between them are responsible for writing about half of the books of the NT.

God did not dictate the canon of the bible- it was decided upon by men.

Many books that we have in the NT werent universally accepted as belonging in the bible and some still arent by certain branches of christian faiths.

The version of the bible used by JW's is the protestant bible which didnt exist before 1534 CE, which separated the apocrypha. If JW's believe God inspired the books of the bible and it was already complete in the 1st century, then why accept a revised version over 1000 years later which removes some books?

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

Kaleb, this is definitely not a pro-JW site.

• Blotty
    Blotty

Kaleb said" I failed to note that this was a pro-Jehovah's Witness, pro-New World Translation site/thread."
    some like the NWT, others on this site don't... This website is not pro JW in the least.. some are some aren't.. its a matter of opinion really

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I fail to see how Kaleb came to the conclusion that this is a pro- Jehovah`s Witness site ?

It makes me wonder about any of his other analysis.

• Blotty
    Blotty

Smiddy..
    not too be rude but sometimes its worth taking a look from someone else's perspective, now granted I'm not sure either how you would come to that conclusion, but then again I don't know how some people come to the conclusion raised in my second question either..
    My running theory would be either a misunderstanding OR Kaleb has only seen "pro" (or neutral, which can come off "pro") JW posts on this website (somehow)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit