In Judas' Defense

by opusdei1972 10 Replies latest watchtower bible

• opusdei1972
    opusdei1972

I have read in JW.org that the governing body affirms that Judas has been eternally condemned:

Did Judas Iscariot commit an unforgivable sin?

Yes, he did. His greed moved him to steal money that had been donated for a sacred use. He even pretended to be concerned about the poor when his real interest was to acquire more money to steal. (John 12:4-8) Once Judas’ heart had become permanently set in doing wrong, he betrayed Jesus for 30 pieces of silver. Jesus knew that Judas could never truly repent for what he had done, and he called him “the son of destruction.” (John 17:12) This meant that when Judas died, he would suffer permanent destruction, with no hope for a resurrection.Mark 14:21.

Judas did not show true repentance for his sin. He confessed, not to God, but to the religious leaders he had conspired with.Matthew 27:3-5; 2 Corinthians 7:10.

However, they contradict themselves when they wrote before that "God has not authorized us to judge anyone—even ourselves.". On the other hand, the following two texts can absolve Judas:

When I was with them, I used to watch over them on account of your own name, which you have given me; and I have protected them, and not one of them is destroyed except the son of destruction, so that the scripture might be fulfilled. (John 17:12)

If the Scripture had to be fulfilled, Judas was an instrument for God's purposes, so he had no choice to do what he did.

Also, we read in Luke the following:

Then Satan entered into Judas, the one called Iscariot, who was numbered among the Twelve, and he went off and talked with the chief priests and temple captains about how to betray him to them. (Luke 22:3-4)

If Satan possessed Judas, he must be absolved because he was used by Satan as a puppet. God was guilty for permitting and invisible being to enter into a man.

Furthermore, most of what is written about Judas is fiction. This is another proof of the idiocy of Watchtower's theology.

I have written an article in Spanish about it http://jehovismo.com/en-defensa-de-judas/

• wifibandit
    wifibandit

So are they trying to say that Judas' big "No No" was a Money thing? Not the whole Jesus thing, but stealing money is unforgivable?

They have got Dollar signs for eyes! ($_$)

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

That was Oscar Wilde's argument , that Judas was the one true sacrificial lamb:

Someone had to betray Jesus for gods purpose to be fulfilled

Satan entered him, like Adam it was Satan's fault

So Judas therefore had no freewill..he was a pawn

Unlike Jesus' temporary death, Judas' death is permanent

Therefore it's Judas we have to thank for our salvation.

If, of course, any of it is true.

These 1st century Jews were not the best philosophers....let's face it their reasoning is easily taken apart. This 300 years after Socrates death too...very poor show!

• sir82
    sir82
    Exactly. So if Judas hadn't betrayed Jesus, what exactly was the "Plan B" for him to die? Being "perfect", according to JW doctrine, he never would die a natural death, so somebody would have had to kill him.
  • Simon
    Simon

Hmmn, using money donated for sacred use for other purposes - which organization does that remind me of ... (cough, lawsuit payouts, cough)

The arrogance of the WTS is striking. Rather than simply saying "we don't know, it's not for us to judge" they instead decide that they can and will make the decision that really isn't theirs to make.

All part of their ongoing practice of putting themselves in the place of god.

• opusdei1972
    opusdei1972
    Even the betrayal's story is absurd. Why did the priests need to pay money to Judas for finding Jesus?. It was so difficult to find him in Jerusalem?...There is something strange in that account. In fact, if Judas betrayed Jesus, the true story was totally different.
  • sparrowdown
    sparrowdown
    I think they discovered a Gospel of Judas a few years back that raised some interesting questions about the story of Judas.
  • sir82
    sir82

I think they discovered a Gospel of Judas a few years back that raised some interesting questions about the story of Judas.

If you are interested, this is an excellent introduction:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Lost-Gospel-Judas-Iscariot/dp/0195343514

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown
    Gee thanks sir 82, yes I am interested, I found the whole story quite fascinating.
  • never a jw
    never a jw

If we use the Bible as our guideline to determine someone's guilt and eternal damnation, or innocence and eternal salvation, we will find both, damnation and salvation for Judas. In fact, if we try hard enough using some JW ingenious reading and interpretation techniques we may even "find out" that Judas was Jesus lover and did what he did because he was jealous of Peter.

Wow! I had to edit and add to my comment after I clicked the link above (sir82)

Possibly Bart Erhman had the same thing in mind (Judas and Jesus as lovers). Look how closely Judas' lips are to Jesus' lips in the cover of his book.

In a more serious note: "Judas did not show true repentance" Really? the poor man took his life right after the "sale". Besides, it was God who crafted the whole story. God is the one who needs to show repentance for his filicide.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit