How do JWs pronounce COBE?

by Wild_Thing 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

Just wondering. When I was a witness, we had Presiding Overseer, and would say P-O for short. Do they spell it out when they say COBE or do they say it with as a word?

Inquiring Minds

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

when i was a dub he was the congregation servant.

i only came across the expression COBE when i found the online world of ex's.

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

So at one time, the head of the congregation was called the Congregation Servant. Abbreviated how? C.S.?

Next, he was called the Presiding Overseer. Abbreviated PO.

Now, the position is called Coordinator of Body of Elders (which seems to me it should be abbreviated either COBOE or CBE. Why ignore one "of" but not the other?)

What were they called before the title of Congregation Servant?

• freddo
    freddo

I think before Congregation Servant it was Company Servant as in Company of men (military term not corporate term).

COBE is pronounced CO-BEE.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

What freddo said, at least in my area. I always thought of it as “kobe”. No not the basketball player, the beef stock.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Round these parts they just say "the coordinator" you know, a bit like "the terminator."

• compound complex
    compound complex

NAACP and SPCA are, technically, initialisms; they cannot be pronounced.

NASA and PETA are acronyms, which are pronounceable.

Nevertheless, the term acronym is generally used whether the term is pronounceable or not.

• Splash
    Splash

Thanks CoCo!!

• compound complex
    compound complex

You're welcome, Splash!

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

Standing for "Coordinator of the Body of Elders" the acronym is COTBOE, with a silent T, pronounced "ko-bee".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit