have you noticed how the main Jw preaching message has changed?

by nowwhat? 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

Years ago it was all about Armageddon and getting out of babylon the great. Then with the draw close to Jehovah and is there a creator that care about you. It was all about building a relationship with Jehovah. Now it's about how the bible can help us in life. The point is we have preached everything except the GOOD NEWS OF THE CHRIST! Which is what the bible actually teaches. Ironic isn't it?

• Jerryh
    Jerryh

nowwhat, I was never a witness but love some (family). This statement is very interesting.

Could you say more about what you have noticed?

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

They still talk about Armageddon but only to themselves, don't want to tell the public because they want to keep the message positive. I watched a TV show that was about several religions that teach Armageddon, and JW's were not mentioned.

• Sanchy
    Sanchy

I was thinking the same thing recently. The religion, generally speaking, seems to be a bit less about the impending end of the world, and more about how to worship the "true God" correctly, no matter how long it takes for the doom to arrive.

It also seems to me that WT hardly uses the word "Armageddon" anymore, referencing instead more often "the great tribulation".

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

They have effectively changed their front to the public to appear harmless and benign.

This is what other cults do too. They present themselves with nice literature, community activities, self help classes, etc. They reserve their extreme beliefs for the in-crowd.

Watchtower only got better cult tactics. Unfortunately.

• Ding
    Ding

To use a WT analogy, wouldn't that be like Noah preaching only a positive message and never mentioning the coming flood?

• Magnum
    Magnum

"Years ago it was all about Armageddon and getting out of babylon the great."

Yes, I agree; it seems the message has changed. I've thought about this a lot lately. I tell my wife often that I don't even know what the JW message is anymore.

I used to be forceful in the field ministry because I thought Armageddon was imminent and that billions of lives were at stake. I kept my message centered on the end. I tried to show people how wrong "Babylon the Great" was so they'd get out.

It sure is different now. It seems that the org now knows it can't win doctrinally and that it doesn't really believe there is an imminent end. The message does seem now to be more about a relationship with God and how to live.

Wow! What happened to the old days when JWdom was bold and more confident and more assertive and more confrontational? JWdom has wimped out. It's becoming more and more like the churches it used to criticize.

• Listener
    Listener

The message they preach seems to be different but it looks like it is still the same at assemblies.

In the last talk at the 'Don't give up' assembly they show tight pants Tony give a short video speech. He says that Armageddon is imminent.

• lancelink
    lancelink

I find this to be a very interesting topic.

yes, I remember the main focus of preaching to be the end of the world, but the college where I work the witnesses sit in the student lounge with their cart 2-3 days each week.

4 people sitting all day in an institution that their teachings do not like, it just blows my mind to see them sitting there.

And the signs they have, not much about the end, mainly it seems on how to be a better person and accept their version of the bible.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

The message is irrelevant in the sense that they will push whatever message suits their current agenda. What others have already stated - cultspeak 101.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit