Review of Wallace's Grammar

by Wonderment 12 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Thanks Earnest, actually that profile was not the definitive answer for me as to the question "Is Edgar.G.Foster a J.W." But I have just downloaded his paper on Christology and the Trinity,and he certainly is a J.W, he says as much within the Paper.

Yes, I am surprised that someone of his obvious Academic ability is a J.W, but then I was equally surprised when first coming across Rolf Furuli many years ago. Furuli made a fool of himself eventually by stepping outside his area of expertise to try to prove the 607 BCE nonsense, he has since been DF'd, but as far as I know is obviously too proud to admit he was wrong about a lot of things to do with 607 BC E. Including his assessment of Babylonian Astronomical tablets.

I think Edgar G Foster must be like a number of Academics from various fields who are Believers in certain things I would not give credence too, because they have not made a deep study of such matters perhaps ?

I have only briefly glanced at the paper I downloaded, and it seems to me he has J.W bias in his attitude to the N.T. but then many Academics have a bias based upon their beliefs, evident in the Christian Academics who would have an opposite view to E.G.Foster's. I agree with what he says though in that paper, that the N.T does NOT teach what trinitarians claim !

I think his mainly positive Review is enough to persuade people that the Wallace Greek Grammar is worth buying !

• Blotty
    Blotty

What's with people and saying "JW's have no scholars"? This argument seems to have started when Beduhn wrote his book (This is how I understand it, I may well be wrong) and trinitarians now saying he isn't qualified when he has to know some koine Greek for one of his PHD's

Edgar J Foster is quite good from what I have read and is def someone worth paying attention too

Phizzy "I think his mainly positive Review is enough to persuade people that the Wallace Greek Grammar is worth buying !"

oh its definitely worth having, Wallace is well respected and for good reason, While personally i find some of conclusions odd and out of nowhere, it cant be argued he is very
    knowledgeable (I have a similar opinion on Beduhn, Countess, Colwell and others)

• TD
    TD

What's with people and saying "JW's have no scholars"?

Almost every scholarly minded JW I knew and interacted with twenty years ago is "disfellowshipped" today. --Some for reasons that seemed (IMO) to be trivial.

So while it's probably not true that there are "no scholars" there are certainly a lot less than there could be.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit