Another mass shooting, three or four hours ago.

by James Mixon 238 Replies latest social current

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

It's not the same. Like I said for every person killed in a high profile rampage shooting in America something like 2000 others die without a word. There is a documentary on Netflix by Nova about the mind of rampage shooters. I recommend you watch it. Terrorism and mental health issues maybe be facilitated by availability but not caused by it. It's low hanging fruit for anti gun nuts who to me sound as biased as gun nuts. Unable to separate out the weight of issues and the reality of day to day shootings, terrrorism, and rampage lunatics. Illegal may make things harder but I can tell you from vast experience it makes them far from impossible when you are motivated.

These calculated planned events aren't happening because someone had a gun and lost their cool. Or someone got a gun and decided to go shoot people. No. Rampage shootings are planned and intended to gain attention and fame.

• Simon
    Simon
    if you are a US citizen

Non US citizens like myself can point out the idiotic arguments of those who promote guns and ridicule them.

Every little helps.

Its a free society.

Well, it's on the list but not as near the top as the propaganda would have some believe (20th?).

http://www.cato.org/blog/new-human-freedom-index-us-ranks-20th

• Simon
    Simon
    Terrorism and mental health issues maybe be facilitated by availability but not caused by it.

Yes, without a gun a nut is just a nut muttering to themselves. Same with a terrorist - they are just another moron on Twitter.

It's low hanging fruit for anti gun nuts who to me sound as biased as gun nuts. Unable to separate out the weight of issues and the reality of day to day shootings, terrrorism, and rampage lunatics. Illegal may make things harder but I can tell you from vast experience it makes them far from possible when you are motivated.

No, we can recognize that giving up some "rights" actually makes everyone safer. It's just like vaccinations.

The US has had something like 350 mass shootings this year. How many people have been shot to death?

America shouldn't be afraid of terrorism, terrorists should be afraid of going to America !!!

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    From what I am hearing the shooter was a devout muslim, last time I checked religion is not a race. I thought you were as unsympathetic to Islam as me?
  • Shanagirl1
    Shanagirl1
    It sounds like Islamic Jihadists wanting to hit soft targets dressed in black tactical gear and masks and carrying assault weapons. Evil personified in the name of their god?
  • Simon
    Simon
    I thought you were as unsympathetic to Islam as me?

I am unsympathetic to Islam. But it would appear I can better separate people who are Muslim from the beliefs and practices of the religion.

The language you used violates the policies of this site and is not welcome. It should be especially apparent when you post it and it is removed that it is unwelcome.

• Simon
    Simon
    It sounds like Islamic Jihadists wanting to hit soft targets dressed in black tactical gear and masks and carrying assault weapons.

It equally sounds like some dick who's completely bought into the culture, stockpiled guns and decided that some personal disagreement justified killing a bunch of people.

We need to beware of deciding this is "Islamic terrorism" vs someone who just happens to be Muslim.

What religion were the last few mass shooters? If Christian then does that mean something? Or did they just happen to be Christian?

Can you see how the reason both matters (what you blame for the motivation) and at the same time doesn't matter (does it change the fact that 14 people were killed?)

• sloppyjoe2
    sloppyjoe2
    Aside from the current debate, I can't understand how Americans don't want to do anything about this issue. A guy on a no fly list can still legally buy a gun in this country. Why do we accept this as the norm? If we aren't willing to try anything to stop American citizens from killing each other, why care if terrorists come here to do it?
  • Simon
    Simon
    I can't understand how Americans don't want to do anything about this issue. A guy on a no fly list can still legally buy a gun in this country. Why do we accept this as the norm?

It seems the right to buy guns trumps anyone else's right to life. The founding fathers must be spinning so fast now that they are causing fusion and will soon be a power source that could help solve climate change (if the gun nuts would accept that it exists - they know it's a dirty lie just like vaccinations).

If we aren't willing to try anything to stop American citizens from killing each other, why care if terrorists come here to do it?

I don't get this either. Adding the word "Muslim" changes everything but also changes nothing. I don't know why ISIS would plan to do anything beyond just make popcorn and turn on the news.

• Simon
    Simon

If the Islam / Radicalization is actually significant then questions that should be asked:

What were their non-radical religious associates doing?

Did they know? If not, why not? If so, what did or didn't they do and why?

Who knew this guy was a risk and why were they silent?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit