TWO MEN who changed Watchtower History but YOU NEVER HEARD of them!

by TerryWalstrom 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

How come you have never heard of them? Hudgings is mentioned in the JW history book, page 73:

After a lengthy discussion, W. F. Hudgings, a director of the Peoples Pulpit Association, read to the audience a letter from Brother Rutherford. In it he sent love and greetings to those assembled. “Satan’s chief weapons are PRIDE, AMBITION and FEAR,” he warned. Showing a desire to submit to Jehovah’s will, he even humbly suggested suitable men in the event that the shareholders should decide to elect new officers for the Society.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

And in Richard Barber's life story (WT 1965)

The prisoners were being transferred to Atlanta penitentiary. Brother Frank Horth, Sister Van Amburgh and Sister Fisher and Sister Agnes Hudgings, a stenographer, and myself hastened over to the station. Brother Rutherford there gave me some instructions. If we were harassed too much by the police, we were to sell Bethel and the Brooklyn Tabernacle and move to either Philadelphia, Harrisburg or Pittsburgh, as our corporation was in Pennsylvania. A price of $60,000 was suggested for Bethel, and $25,000 for the tabernacle. When the train was ready, Brother Rutherford took Brother Horth and Sister Hudgings on the train with him. They rode for a distance while Brother Rutherford dictated a letter of instructions to Brother Horth, assigning him to sell Bethel and the Tabernacle. Arriving back in Bethel, Sister Hudgings made copies of this letter of instructions for us. The Tabernacle was sold, if my memory serves me aright, for only $16,000. Later Bethel was sold to the government and all arrangements made except the transfer of cash, when the armistice was signed; but providentially the sale of Bethel was never accomplished.

• TheWonderofYou
    TheWonderofYou

:yum: What a shocking insight about how prophecies fulfill through unbelievable ways and how God suffers while god uses his servants and appoints them to go through awkward happenings and forces them to invent fictive history.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

TerryWalstrom - "...the ACLU came running to Sykes rescue. ..."

Is it just me, or is anyone else here starting to think that maybe the ACLU has been played a few times over the years?

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

I tried checking the jwemployees.bravehost.com/NewsReports link, but it only goes to some weird page saying access is forbidden. Am I missing something?

I copied that link from the Google search rather than the page; I'm guessing the tail end wasn't showing.
    Go to The Internet's best history of Jehovah's witnesses and the Watchtower Society and browse around.
    http://jwdivorces.bravehost.com/jwinfo.html
    I've been trying to discover who authors these pages so rich in details of names, places and events. Does anybody know?

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom
    TheOldHippie6 hours ago

How come you have never heard of them? Hudgings is mentioned in the JW history book, page 73

Thanks, TheOldHippe. Your snippets are always fascinating!

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom
    Wait For It17 hours ago

Wow! I'm really enjoying all your research. Thank you!

It's not much in the way of actual research as much as it is finding work that others have spent time accumulating and sharing. I just pick up little pieces here and there and fit them together.

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

I don't know if that screen capture showed up. Here is a smaller version. The Life stories on the Watchtower page seem to begin in 1986.

• steve2
    steve2

The OldHippie adds excellent context to your OP Terry but your thoroughness stands out (and good grace when points are seemingly bluntly drawn to your attention).

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

William Hudgings was also an inventor.

He invented an "asshole flusher" and filed a patent for it in 1930.

https://www.google.com/patents/US1983293

Huh...there must have been a market for the device at Brooklyn Bethel.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit