Newbury Park Man Accused of Child Molestation

by AudeSapere 2 Replies latest jw friends

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

So this was in my local weekly 'throwaway' newspaper today.

Guess what religion?

https://www.toacorn.com/articles/newbury-park-man-accused-of-child-molestation/

Newbury Park man accused of child molestation

Suspect met his victims through church, police say

| December 13, 2018

Acorn staff report

A 69-year-old Newbury Park man will be arraigned next week on charges that he molested two underage girls he met through church.

Steven Abbott Courtesy of TOPD

Steven Abbott was arrested Nov. 28 after a three-month investigation by the Thousand Oaks Police Department’s sex crimes unit.

Police say they uncovered the crimes after a 16-year-old came forward in September to say Abbott, whom she met at Kingdom Hall of Jehovah’s Witnesses in Newbury Park, sexually abused her from the time she was 5 until she turned 11.

A resulting investigation uncovered a second female, now 24, who told police that Abbott abused her over 15 years ago, when she was between the ages of 3 and 7. The woman also said she and her family met and associated with Abbott through the Newbury Park Kingdom Hall.

According to court records, Abbott is being charged with two counts of continuous sexual abuse of a child, one count of committing a lewd act on a child and one count of committing a forcible lewd act on a child.

He was being held on $250,000 bail and is due in court Dec. 27 for his arraignment.

TOPD is looking for other victims. Those with information related to Abbott may call Detective Darin Yanover at (805) 494-8229.

• jp1692
    jp1692

See this thread from last week:

Child sexual abuse suspect arrested in T.O.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Ahh. Thanks for the link, JP.

I did not see the prior post and was really surprised that my google search did not show the article as posted in the Ventura County Star.

Must need to brush up on my search skills.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit