Mods and Rockers

by Lostandfound 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Lostandfound
    Lostandfound

Just seen a news clip of the old Mods vs Rockers fights in Brighton UK in the 60s , Mods on Scooters (lambrettas not children's ones) and Rockers on motorbikes

well my query has nothing to do with them!

Just curious, years ago on here much mention from time to time of the Mods, i.e. Moderators, facing daily battles to keep the peace.

My query is do we have MODS today or has peace broken out?

cant remember when I last saw a lambretta scooter, lots of motorbike though

• scotsman
    scotsman

I have a former colleague that's a Mod: checked sta-press, DMs, Harrington and side burns, rides a Vespa, goes on rallies. Couldn't be a gentler chap, he makes things out of Harris Tweed for a living.

• Fairlane
    Fairlane

Oh yes! Would you believe i was a jw rocker along with other 'brothers' in the cong' we rode our bsa's , triumphs , matchless and nortons to the hall parking in an enclosed side corridor with access to the street. Even a future elder rode a nice norton twin. Another older brother who from time to time we assisted in his workshop ( probably to keep us gainfully employed) owned a manx racing norton . I rode from my home wearing a sensible jacket only to change into my tatty leather jacket with studs and painted script on the back ' 100 rockers '. Only the elder is still a jw. By coincidence at a recent funeral of a jw family member an older sister reminded me of those 60s days saying " oh i remember you and ..... with your motorbikes and leather jackets". Actually i started my biking days with a couple of 50s LD lambrettas ,but when i rode a friends royal Enfield cafe racer i was hooked. There were quite a lot of 'mods'where i lived i knew most of them from school and where they hung about as i passed on my bike i would get a few choice words shouted at me but mostly we were pretty friendly. One instance at the cafe we frequented, which was close to the ice rink where a lot of mods went we had a bit of a scuffle when someone kicked our bikes and they collapsed like dominoes !! I was also a big rock n roll fan and to this day i still play in a retro rock n roll band....ahhh great days !!

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

I remember Lambrettas. Always getting sucked into the carbs of my Beeza and cloggin' them up...

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

scooters ? come to my home town--Ryde isle of Wight---scooter rally august bank holiday sunday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYUITcPUqE4

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

its an event that lasts days--every year--1000's of scooterists--all ages--enjoying them selves. never any trouble.

but--dont worry--jehovah will kill them all--very soon.

• Lostandfound
    Lostandfound

SL

Some scooterists been waiting for Big A since they had wooden scooters as a child, hear them sighing "..how long,...oh how long"

Do scooter drivers still need a simplified driving license?

actual I was asking what happened to SITE mods, as they not mentioned now...?

Written post badly but much fun, not seen many on road but my best friend 50 years ago had one. He stopped talking to me when I started a study, he had more sense than me though a lousy taste in music!

• St George of England
    St George of England
    Actually i started my biking days with a couple of 50s LD lambrettas ,but when i rode a friends royal Enfield cafe racer i was hooked

Something like this Fairlane? This one used to belong to an elder I know.

George (Still riding!)

• St George of England
    St George of England

Just to add to the above, the elder in question lives in Brighton, though he is too young to have riding in the 60's.

George

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

Just curious, years ago on here much mention from time to time of the Mods, i.e. Moderators, facing daily battles to keep the peace.

My query is do we have MODS today or has peace broken out?

back on topic. there was a lady mod a while back--Lady Lee--but i think she quit. Simon sometimes steps in--and very occasionally disfellowships someone. but mostly it seems a lot more civilised on here these days.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit