Salvation: Faith alone OR works?

by JW Answers 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• JW Answers
    JW Answers

Jehovah's Witnesses run to the book of James staying that Faith without works is dead. They completely ignore the teachings of Paul and hold onto James. .

It would appear that there is a contradiction between James' teaching and Paul's teaching, yet the Bible tells us to rightly divide the word of truth. There are no contradictions in scriptures.

Watch my latest short video below on JW Answers to understand the difference between James and Paul and how the JWs err in their understanding.

• Ding
    Ding

I think part of the trouble comes with cherry picking proof texts instead of trying to do the hard work of trying to reconcile all the things the Bible says on a topic.

Throughout its history, the WT leadership seems to figure out what they want to believe first and then hunt through the Bible to find some text they can use to support them.

Of course, we all are prone to do that, but the WT are masters at that type of proof texting.

Think of how often the literature cites passages which, in context, have nothing whatever to do with the point they are advancing.

That's much easier than examining all the related passages and trying to see how one might limit or explain the other.

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

Read the whole account. The works in James are looking after orphans and widows and make sure your brother is warm and fed! Not driving around and filling in a time card.

• waton
    waton

jws report 10 minutes of service time per year for every human on Earth. Think how much good could be done looking after the needy, rather than spreading error into the void.

• waton
    waton

who says we even need salvation? we definitely need to work, active ones live longer.

• Linda14
    Linda14

Faith basically. Works is essential as well but what gives you salvation is not that work, but faith.

Think of that criminal at the stake/cross. What saved him? Works? No, just faith in Jesus.

Think about those whom Jesus told when he was on earth, "your sins have been forgiven". That means had the kingdom come that day, they will be saved. What saved them, works? No. Faith.

What about many persons that were baptized those days, they didn't live many years studying What Does The Bible Really Teach book and then having their lives policed to determine if they are repentant before they were baptized. All they needed was to believe in Jesus and state that they have repented, they were baptized. In the case of Cornelius and those invited for the occasion, they received the holy spirit immediately. Don't imagine that those were spotless.

Works are essential, but nothing can deter God from declaring any sinner righteous and beckon him to the kingdom through the ransom sacrifice of Jesus. Nothing. So it's not good to think that one can earn salvation which works seem to emphasize. Neither would it be fine to deliberately become wicked in words and action and think that just having faith in Jesus will cover you. No.

• myelaine
    myelaine

Works are an expression of the biblical faith, not the path to salvation. Salvation is wholly dependent on God's mercy (through the agency of Jesus). Jesus says, "If you love Me, keep My commands", He's talking about "works".

In the OT the Father said "Deuteronomy 11:8".

In the NT Jesus was reiterating: "Jesus answered them and said, “My doctrine is not Mine, but His who sent Me. If anyone wills to do His will, he shall know concerning the doctrine, whether it is from God or whether I speak on My own authority." (John 7:16-18)

Matthew 5:18-19; Matthew 28:18-20

• cofty
    cofty

How to be saved by god from what god will do to us if we don't believe him.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Hi Cofty,

Welcome back btw. I've often wondered what you were up to after your sudden departure.

"How to be saved by god from what god will do to us if we don't believe him."

I'll have to take time to think about that one,

• cofty
    cofty

Thanks Vanderhoven

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit