The forgotten victims in Job

by Saltheart Foamfollower 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Saltheart Foamfollower
    Saltheart Foamfollower

After todays watchtower, I realised that there was a detail which I'd never noticed before. Sometimes Job's children are mentioned, but how many have noticed that Job's servants were also killed. They didn't even have a quantity assigned to them - just treated like property. OK the account is fictional, but it shows the bible's real attitude to people.

SF

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

You are quite correct Saltheart!

The whole fictional account is flawed in many ways, including the outright promotion of the acquisition of wealth and property as being good!
    In fact, the account goes to great lengths to say that GOD ALMIGHTY blesses with MATERIAL wealth.

So how does that translate to Witnesses in JW org today? The GB keep saying that it is NOT the personal aquisition of status or wealth that proves one's value in God's eyes?

And as you point out, the ACTUAL people are not important, it is just their "value" as a commodity that is highlighted (applies to both the children and the slaves etc)

BUT, this "factual biblical account" is supposed to prove that "Jehovah is Loving??"

Why did Jehovah even need to place a wager or have this bet with Satan anyway??

• stuckinarut2
  • sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

I see the Job story as an informative insight into the minds of the "Gods" or rather the inventors of the "Gods" and how the "Gods" actually view human beings - nothing more than a resource to be exploited, pawns to be used, cattle to be farmed, used as slaves, generally f**ked with, and then forgotten.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

Believers you must admit that the book of Job is the worst book of the Bible. God and Satan are making bets with the lives of humans(I could never understand what God have against gambling). They are not doing this for any greater purpose but simply to show off and boast who is greater.

• Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
    Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho

@stuckinarut2 LMFAO, that video is incredible. Best bit was the last part of the end credits: "Sweet, sweet love made to your mother by DarkMatter2525".

I know my mother. And the joke would be on DarkMatter2525.

• venus
    venus

When Bible writers adopt stories from other cultures, they would naturally do some modification to avoid being blamed for blind copying, thus they would add things such as "Job's servants were also killed."

Story is obviously of human origin because it does not glorify God who is being projected as one treating Satan superior as though God is in need of validation from Satan.

• steve2
    steve2

I used to think the worst part of the book of Job was his name. Who ever calls their child Job nowadays? Never ever on the list of best ever boys' names.

Then I delved into the content of the book of Job and changed my mind. His name wasn't so bad after all.

Moreover, I found offensive the notion that two supernatural beings selfishly toy with humanity and domestic animals, each to prove his own point.

Sick. Humans and animals as collateral damage in a conquest happening in the heavens. All to establish who is the bigger (better?) being.

That's Biblical morality for you. Stuck midway between petty and psychopathic.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    When Bible writers adopt stories from other cultures, they would naturally do some modification to avoid being blamed for blind copying, thus they would add things such as "Job's servants were also killed."

Apparently that's how the song of songs got into the Bible. It was added around the time of the Babylonian captivity - it was the Shakespeare of Its day, the greatest piece of literature of the Persians so it was sort of rude not to.
    Speaking of rude, the Shulamite maidens "belly button" was one bit that was changed....it was some kind of button and very private, apparently!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit