Advice on books to read up on please

by SpiceItUp 16 Replies latest watchtower bible

• greven
    greven

Terry Pratchett. If you want a good book to start I would recommend Small Gods, it's IMO the best he ever wrote. He has a very wild and entertaining way to look at things.

SYN, did you read The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents from TP? It's brilliant!

Greven

• SYN
    SYN

Spicey: RFA sounds like an interesting book judging by the Amazon reviews (sadly I haven't been able to read all of Philip K. Dick's books ) His short stories are where he's at his best, though!

Greven: Actually I only read Maurice and his educated rodents very recently. It's fairly good, but nowhere near as good as his other books

• garybuss
    garybuss

I did a bit of research to be prepared to confront the Witnesses . . . . but about half way through I lost the need to confront them, after a few months and a few books I lost the will to confront them, and after some more books and visiting with victims of the Witnesses, I lost the stomach to confront them.

Now I spend my time with people who treat me good and I devote my time to helping people who are recovering from the group. I don't have time for those who are happy to stay.

• logansrun
    logansrun

Elaine Pagels, "The Origin of Satan" and "Adam, Eve and the Serpent" -- both excellent.

John Shelby Spong, "Rescuing the Bible From Fundamentalism" -- not too detailed, a good start, though

Any commentary in the Anchor Bible Commentaries series. You can usually find these at a library, especially a university one. They're quite expensive to buy, but were invaluable to me when I was trying to investigate the Bible from a strictly secular standpoint.

• Valis
    Valis

Spicey...if you're into Dick, don't forget to read VALIS...hee hee..another pice of fiction I like is Towing Jehovah...both at Amazon.

The Ancient Gods by E.O. James is one of my faves. Its an old book, but well worth the search.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• SpiceItUp
    SpiceItUp

Greven & Logan---- thanks

Gary---- Well I see your point but in this stage I am more determined than ever. In fact I never used to care. I used to just go about my business with my real friends. Then I met all the people here and something in me changed. I know realize that I have the information and resources at my hand to actually make a difference for those that I care about. To each his own I suppose. Not everyone could deal with it but since I am in a position to give it a go then I will.

Valis--- lol ...I'll check out the book. thanks

Thanks everyone for all your input.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

A new book entitled, "Secret Origins of the Bible by Tim Callahan is very readable and covers much of the Bible not just a narrow focus. I had the pleasure of meeting and dining with him and while I feel he is not as radical as I think he should be he does do a very good job dissecting the Bible. Millennium Press, 2002....The Skeptic Society has them in stock as Tim is a regular contributer to the magazine.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit