The right to shun - wrong?

by Simon 120 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Finkelstein, The Rebel says " I do not honestly believe the governing body force anyone to shun"

The Rebel also says, we are not murderers, or rapists, despite if the G.B asked us to be that. I have learnt ( and already new) shunning is dispicable. But the age of consent to drink alcohol is? The age of concent to drive a car is ? The age to marriage is? With these acts come individual personal decisions, and accountability. Why is the adult age of a witness excused as a shunner? After age 18 or 21 dependent in the country we live in, we are accountable for the decisions we make. Anyone disagree?

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I don't see what age of an individual has relevance.

Its the activity by a religion of creating hatred imposed onto someone who is simply trying to make a personal choice on their own decision of religious beliefs.

Every person who made the decision to become a JWS did so on their own accord, accept children who were socially brought up within the religion by their parents.

As its noted in other main stream religions, if you decide to leave and move over to another particular faith, the religion which they left wont publicly condemn you and arrange it that all other participants should not talk or associate with the person leaving or further make so that the person's own family members should not talk and associate with these ones.

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Finkelsttein, " I don't see what age of an individual has relevance"

Well I consider myself an adult. I was an adult at 18 . When my son is 18 I consider him an adult and accountable for his actions. I once drove a car drunk at age 21 I think ( Anyway it was a long time ago) Nonetheless I was responsible. I can't blame my upbringing for driving a car drunk. Thankfully no one was hurt and I drove home safely. I married my wife when she was 21. Anyway we celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary in November. We made those 25 years work. Yes I love my wife.

All I am saying is at a certain age, we become adults. I had a tough ride growing up, no real love from my parents, only organizational crap, but a better ride than many.

Do you say that those who drink drive, do so because of culture? upbringing? where do we make the its ok you drunk drove and the consequences are not your fault? That's why I say age has a relevance to shunning.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Rebel , your analogies are point less and irrelevant to the activity of recognized religious institutions and their set established social practices.

The said leaders or orcustrators of most religions are of legal age of adulthood.

Here is an analogy to ponder upon , ...... if a religious order created a practice that one child of a married couple must give up a single child as sacrifice toward their specific god of worship, would that religious order have the right to do so ?

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

You have to keep in mind that JWS are enforced to shun people who have been publicly disfellowshiped, to not do would invoke punishment onto themselves.

Adult or otherwise.

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Finkelstein, My answer to your anology, is No. ( or in Watchtower language a " Resounding NO" ) But in my society, the person who offered the child for sacrifice would be in court tomorrow and then held in custody before sentencing. In my society even the solicitors of his religious organization, wont get him out of this mess.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The point I'm trying to make is that a person has the inalienable right to choose their own religious beliefs without public condemnation, prejudice and hatred imposed by another individual or by a greater recognized established religious institution.

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

You may have a point Finkelstein. If I am honest I do not know the meaning of "inalienable"

But my point is a Witness does have the right to choose their own religious beliefs. Sadly such a choice may mean "public condemnation, predjuice and hatred, imposed by a greater recognized established religious institution" Life is not fair, but if we consider ourself adults and are over 21, we have to make tough decisions, and to shun or not is one of those decisions. That's my point.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Yes Rebel one can personally hate something about a religion with inactivity but its the expressive social activity which is worthy of debate and evaluation, concerning the rights of an individual.

Its interesting to note that some religious orders do practice enforced shunning and some don't, which leaves the open debate upon which group through its actives infringes upon an individual's rights of choice ?

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Finkelstien, I came back to the site, for a visit, and I am glad people like you are still around...Take care.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit