What Is Pseudoscience? (Scientific American)

by jp1692 13 Replies latest members private

• waton
    waton
    No, it specifically does NOT mean that "any" theory or hypothesis ... "could potentially develop to be accepted."

agreed, I did not say or mean just any, but many mainstream science concepts in their infancy started out as merely observations, recognition of patterns, that led to theories and became laws.

Case in point J.Kepler, that started out trying to fit polygons into orbits, from those circles (that even Copernicus never overcame) went to ellipses and gave us his 3 laws, still useful in small body calculations, pre-newtonian.

In so doing he used the profound work of an observation genius T. Brahe, but Kepler came up with the equations, saw the pattern. Both he and Galileo, were hammered by the establishment.
  • jp1692
    jp1692

waton: I did not say or mean just any, but ...

Actually, you did. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but you did write:

waton: What that means then is that any "pseudo science" theory, is not only theoretical but could potentially develop to be accepted.

Your exact words. So thanks for clarifying what you meant.

That being said, I do appreciate you sharing the example of how Kepler built on previous knowledge to advance our understanding of the motions of celestial bodies.

You might want to review the difference in meaning between how scientists use the terms "theory" and "law." A theory can't become a law because they are different things. One is a tentative (albeit, highly supported by evidence) explanation of why a phenomenon happens, the other is an observation with no attempt to explain how it works.

waton: Both Kepler and Galileo, were hammered by the establishment.

Yeah, the establishment hates people that rock the boat with those annoying little facts.

Have you read Thomas Kuhn's book, The Structure of Scientific Revolutions?

It's pretty fascinating. It deals with just the kind of think you highlighted about Copernicus, Galileo, Brahe and Kepler. There are a lot of similarities to our cult experience.

Did you know Brahe had a gold nose? Funny story. Google it!

• waton
    waton
    A theory can't become a law because they are different things.

A theory might have elements of laws in it, even universal laws. Equations, formulae that apply everywhere.

I am waiting to see wether the unique circumstances, numerically, not just the "goldilocks" distances will be found in the exoplanet systems.

Thank you for the recommendation for all.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Pseudoscience was Fake News before Fake News was a thing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit