What happened to the 1918 'Resurrection' ?

by refiners fire 22 Replies latest watchtower bible

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Brothers. Sisters. Of recent I have been most interested in those invisible yet world shaking events that altered human history, those taking place in the early part of the 20 th Century. I refer to the 1914 “return” The 1914 Kingdom Of Christ, The Babylonish “captivity” of 1918, the 1919 “release” etc.

Most recently I have delved into the subject of the 1918 “resurrection” of the 'sleeping saints'. I figured Id find something on the subject in the book…. REVELATION. ITS GRAND CLIMAX AT HAND (1988) ..... and searched under the words “resurrection / 1918” using my WT CD library. I was most surprised to find scant reference to this major event...... Page 102:

….”All the evidence indicates that this heavenly resurrection began in 1918, after Jesus' enthronement in 1914 and his riding forth to start his kingly conquest by cleansing the heavens of Satan and his demons

“All the evidence” may indeed “indicate”, but I wanted to SEE the Biblical evidence for myself. Anyway, I pressed on. Page 209 says:

…”In our century the cry that Babylon the Great has fallen has also been heard! Babylonish Christendom's temporary success in 1918 was sharply reversed in 1919 when the remnant of anointed ones, the John class, was restored by a spiritual resurrection. Babylon the Great had fallen as far as having any captive hold on God's people was concerned

This was not the “1918….resurrection” I was interested in, I wanted the 1918 resurrection of St Paul and St Peter not some symbolical organizational “resurrection”w hich occurred in 1919. I was searching 1918, and this 1919 “resurrection” kept asserting itself . Somewhat disillusioned I decided to search Watchtower magazines rather than books. Surely the channel of truth itself would have something meaningfull on the subject in its pages..,... WATCHTOWER May 1. 1993:

…”Another amazing happening during Christ's presence is the start of the heavenly resurrection. The apostle Paul indicated that those anointed Christians long asleep in their graves would be the first to be made alive and live with Christ Jesus in the spirit realm. Evidence has been presented over the years to show that this appears to have happened from 1918 onward

With feverish eyes I searched for the continuation of this thought and the “Evidences presented over the years” but I was to be disappointed. (a feeling very familiar to long term members of the Organization) this was another mere assertion with no proofs presented. At least it didn’t mention the 1919 symbolical “resurrection”, however the next source on my CD , the WT of October 15, 1988, DID refer, ad nauseum, to this 1919 “resurrection”...... As did the WT of 1 July. 1983:

…”With those words Jehovah borrows or draws upon language suitable for the time of the literal resurrection of the ransomed dead of mankind under the heavenly Kingdom in the hands of his enthroned King, Jesus Christ, the Ransomer. Like the Israelites of old who were deported from the land of their national life and, spiritually speaking, buried for 70 years in Babylon, so the remnant of modern spiritual Israelites were threatened with extinction during the years 1914-1918. The end of World War I in 1918 left them like a "corpse" on Jehovah's hands, spiritually speaking”….

“Buried…extinction…corpse…”, Naturally, I made the appropriate links in my mind but this was not what I sought. My hart leapt like a gazelle in paradise when I, next, came across the WT of 15 June 1979, which, finally, discussed the matter at some length rather than making brief, undeveloped assertions:

….” This wrath of nations came to a head in the spring of 1918, markedly in the United States of America. This was three and a half years from the end of the Gentile Times and the installation of the anointed Jesus as a heavenly King. What happened to the Kingdom proclaimers on earth in 1918 runs quite parallel with what happened to Jesus at Jerusalem "at the half of the week." In his case a resurrection of the dead became necessary. Correspondingly, in 1918 the proclaimers of his kingdom were dealt what the persecutors thought was a "death blow," so that the Kingdom proclamation needed a revival, a resurrection

Yes, yes. Then this caught my attention. At Last! Some explanations about the 1918 resurrection:

….”In the case of the Kingdom proclaimers yet in the flesh, their revival was to an earthly activity, to renewed preaching of "this good news of the kingdom" in all the inhabited earth "for a witness to all the nations."….. Their experiencing this was not scheduled to "precede" the resurrection of Christians who had "fallen asleep in death through Jesus" down till 1918. Rather, as 1 Thessalonians 4:14-17 points out, "those who are dead in union with Christ will RISE FIRST" Fittingly, their resurrection first would precede the reviving or ‘resuscitating’ of the Kingdom proclaimers to their further work….This reviving occurred in spring of 1919

Basically this passage says that Because the ORGANIZATION was ‘resurrected’ in 1919 the sleeping saints MUST have been resurrected before 1919. Because the “dead in Christ” must rise FIRST ( before the organizational “resurrection”) Well that makes perfect sense to me brothers. Not. It seemed somewhat of a bastardization of 1 Thessalonians 4 to me. It continues:

…”The spiritual resurrection of the "dead in Christ" in the spring of 1918, three and a half years from the enthronement of Christ at the end of the Gentile Times in autumn of 1914, would PARALLEL Jesus' own resurrection in …33 C.E”.

This is a direct throwback to Russellian Time parallels. not only does the 3 and a half year (29 - 33 CE) ‘parallel’ apply to the literal heavenly resurrection (1914-1918) but it also applies to the figurative ‘captivity’ and release of the org . This 3 and a half year ‘parallel’ between Jesus baptism and his Resurrection in 33 ce is a line of evidence offered again as proof of the 1918 “resurrection” in the WT of August 1, 1960:

….”In a TIME PARALLEL, Jesus Christ was enthroned as King in heaven A.D. 1914. Three and a half years later, or in 1918, would be the time for him to come to God's spiritual temple. Would Christendom's rulers receive him or reject him as King? They rejected him and showed it by killing the work of Jehovah's witnesses concerning the Kingdom. Just as the Jewish leaders' rejection of Jesus could not prevent God's raising of his Son from the dead, so Christendom's rejection of the King could not prevent God from raising Jesus' faithful followers from the dead. So in harmony with the picture of 1900 years ago, it was only a short time after the temple's cleansing in 1918 that the heavenly resurrection of the anointed Christians sleeping in death took place, unseen to human eyes”

The article goes on, but it provides no other “proofs” that this resurrection occurred in 1918. However it DOES go on at length, to speak of the ‘figurative’ resurrection of the organization in 1919:

…”When Jesus came to God's spiritual temple in 1918 for the purpose of judging men, Christendom was rejected. A remnant of Jesus' anointed followers on earth passed that temple judgment and were cleansed and purified and sent forth as Jehovah's witnesses, as visible representatives of the "new heavens." During the high point of World War I the spiritual remnant were practically silent, and they were in captivity to symbolic Babylon, Satan's world. But in 1919 Jehovah regathered his disorganized people, increased their numbers and organized them for Kingdom preaching

Not much in the way of proof really is it brothers? You would think that a major spiritual event like the 1918 resurrection would have more backing than a couple of references to Russellian Parallelism.

• rocketman
    rocketman

Right. It's based on assertions that have no real possibility of being proven.

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Greetings Rocket. Further to the subject of resurrection...In the book REVELATIONS CLIMAX (1988) Mr Watchtower Org has something to say that is, sort of, relevant on page 200:

….”And they are singing as if a new song before the throne and before the four living creatures and the elders; and no one was able to master that song but the hundred and forty-four thousand, who have been bought from the earth." (Revelation 14:2, 3)”….

The book asks rhetorically, how the “144,000” can stand before the “24 Elders”, singing in heaven, when the 144,000 and the 24 Elders are the same persons! It’s a good question you must admit, but of course, Mr Watchtower Org NEVER asks a question he doesn’t already have the answer to:

….”Why is it that these anointed overcomers are referred to as the symbolic 24 elders as well as the 144,000? It is because Revelation views this one group from TWO DIFFERENT VIEWPOINTS. The 24 elders are always shown in their ultimate position around Jehovah's throne, installed as kings and priests in the HEAVENS. They symbolize the entire group of 144,000 in their HEAVENLY POSITIONS, although at present a small remnant of these is still on earth. Revelation chapter 7, however, focuses on the 144,000 as brought forth from HUMANKIND”…..

So the 24 Elders are the 144,000 once they’ve gone to HEAVEN. But while still on EARTH they are called the 144,000. Hmmm. Okay. Well then what do you make of this scripture Mr Watchtower Org?

…."And I saw, and, look! the Lamb standing upon the Mount Zion, and with him a hundred and forty-four thousand having his name and the name of his Father written on their foreheads." (Revelation 14:1)”….….”Jesus, after his death and resurrection in 33 C.E., was installed as a foundation cornerstone on the HEAVENLY Mount Zion”…..

Hah, got you now Mr Watchtower, the persons in HEAVEN with Christ in Revelation 14 v 1 are the 144,000. You contradict yourself ! Ha ha.

….”So how is it that John sees all of them standing with Jesus on Mount Zion? In that, as members of the congregation of anointed Christians, these have now "approached a Mount Zion and a city of the living God, heavenly Jerusalem." Like Paul when he was still on earth, they have already, in a SPIRITUAL SENSE, been raised up to be in UNION with Christ Jesus”

Damn, Another figurative explanation…. Those Watchtower guys have got an answer for everything.

• somebody
    somebody

Great post Refiners fire!

You made some interesting comments. You know the worst part about all this confusion? That what you provided is actually the "GOOD NEWS"/GOSPEL" that the watchtower preach! And they are PROUD of it!

10/1/1980 Wt pages 28-29

13 According to Revelation 12:11, after Satan the Devil was ousted from heaven, the Christians whom he accused “conquered him . . . because of the word of their witnessing.” The fulfillment of this has been another feature that Jesus said would make “the conclusion of the system of things” outstanding. What feature? “This good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations; and then the end [télos] will come. (Matt. 24:14) This precedes the end of the “last days.”

14 Such a witness, given by Jehovah’s Witnesses since the end of World War I on November 11, 1918, has enormously surpassed the international witness given during the “last days” of the Jewish system of things in 29 to 70 C.E. Back there the witness was given in Asia, Europe and Africa. Today it has been given not only on those continents but also in the Americas, in Australia and on the islands of the Pacific Ocean, yes, globally.

15 Scoffers at this may minimize this achievement and emphasize that the missionaries of Christendom during the centuries past got to all those places before ever the Christian witnesses of Jehovah came along. True! But the Kingdom witnessing of Jehovah’s Witnesses since 1914 has been something far different from what Christendom’s missionaries have published both before and since 1914.

16 “Different”—how so? In that it has not been a witness concerning the kingdom mentioned in Colossians 1:13, “the kingdom of the Son of [God’s] love,” into which the 144,000 “sealed” spiritual Israelites have been transferred already. (Rev. 7:1-8) What Jehovah’s Witnesses have preached world wide since 1918 is something unique, something that has distinguished these as being the “last days” of the political, social, judicial, militarized system of things. It has been a worldwide witness concerning a royal government now set up in the heavens, empowered to oust the Devil and his demons from the location of its throne. (Rev. 12:5-9) Less than two years after World War I ended, in its issue of July 1, 1920, The Watch Tower and Herald of Christ’s Presence published the leading article entitled “Gospel of the Kingdom” and quoting Matthew 24:14, and, under the subheading “Work for All,” it went on to say:

17 “The gospel means good news. The good news here is concerning the end of the old order of things and the establishment of Messiah’s kingdom. It means the dark night of sin and sorrow is passing away. It means that Satan’s empire is falling, never to rise again.”—Pages 199, 200.

18 When the preaching of this good news of the Messianic kingdom as having been established in the heavens in 1914 has been done to the extent that God wills, “then the end [télos] will come.” (Matt. 24:14) So this final Kingdom preaching world wide comes inside the “last days” of this system of things. These are therefore the proper days for the final fulfillment of the prophecy of Joel 2:28, 29 to take place, just as there was an initial fulfillment of the prophecy in the days of the apostle Peter and his fellow apostles, as he himself explained on Pentecost of 33 C.E. So our “last days” are a modern parallel of their “last days.”

5/1/81 Wt page 17

3 Let the honest-hearted person compare the kind of preaching of the gospel of the Kingdom done by the religious systems of Christendom during all the centuries with that done by Jehovah’s Witnesses since the end of World War I in 1918. They are not one and the same kind. That of Jehovah’s Witnesses is really “gospel,” or “good news,” as of God’s heavenly kingdom that was established by the enthronement of his Son Jesus Christ at the end of the Gentile Times in 1914. (Luke 21:24)

Paul warned us about those who you preach something beyond the good news about Christ.

Gal. 1 6-8

6 I marvel that YOU are being so quickly removed from the One who called YOU with Christ's undeserved kindness over to another sort of good news. 7 But it is not another; only there are certain ones who are causing YOU trouble and wanting to pervert the good news about the Christ. 8 However, even if we or an angel out of heaven were to declare to YOU as good news something beyond what we declared to YOU as good news, let him be accursed. 9 As we have said above, I also now say again, Whoever it is that is declaring to YOU as good news something beyond what YOU accepted, let him be accursed.

I'd say the Watchtower's version of "good news" goes WAY BEYOND the gospel that the apostles and disciples declared and preached.

peace,

somebody/gwen

• Francois
    Francois

That first quote speaks about Jesus "riding forth." Do you reckon they really think that he was perched on an actual horse doing this riding forth? Don't you think that he really doesn't need any steed to ride forth in his spiritual estate, that he can just zephyr along at whatever speed he likes, absent horse? I do.

Don't pay to be too literal, does it?

francois

• Satanus
    Satanus

Ahh, the deapths of wt bu!!$#!t god's riches, who can fathom? It's interesting to read your sherlock holmesian search for the missing christians of the early resurrection. Press on, brother refiner.

SS

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

...."Such a witness, given by Jehovah’s Witnesses since the end of World War I on November 11, 1918, has enormously surpassed the international witness given during the “last days” of the Jewish system of things"....

"Somebody" posted that. It triggers a thought. I Notice the dubs mention the date WW1 ended. I think they like the idea of WW1 lasting 3 and a half years. A half a Biblical "week" during which the Org preached in "Sackcloth". WW1 started in August 1914 didnt it? Shame it didnt start about May, that would be very convenient for their calculations. During my little research on this subject I noticed somewhere that the WT claimed the period between the "release" of 1919 and the 1922 Cedar point convention was a period of "recovery" for the org and the implication was it being the antithesis of the "half week" of preaching in Sackcloth. A half week, 3 and a half years of organizational healing, if you will.

Of course, they HAVENT engaged in World Wide Preaching since November 1918. They have engaged in Worldwide preaching since Cedar point 1919. Or is it Cedar point 1922? The WT tries to slice the cake every way at once to suit themselves.

• Maverick
    Maverick

Maybe they went to the same place people went when the Catholics did away with limbo? Maverick

• ballistic
    ballistic

Refiners, I don't know how you have the patience for such research without giving up and concluding we are dealing with another Nostradamus by way of a society. That was my conclusion from reading your post!

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

..."I don't know how you have the patience for such research"...

Ballistic. Why the research? Im as big a looney as they are, what other answer is there? Lol

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit