Professor Brian Cox Quote

by doubtfull1799 4 Replies latest jw friends

• doubtfull1799
    doubtfull1799

Just finished "The Forces of Nature" by Brian Cox, an amazing book and highly recommend.

I loved this quote at the end - so poetic coming from a physicist:

"Our planet is vanishingly small in the vastness, which implies that each of us is also vanishlingly small. We must come to terms with being of no cosmic significance, and this means jettisoning our personal and collective egos and valuing what we have. We can no longer assume the platform of gods, or dream of a unique place in their hearts. Science has forced us to look fixedly into an infinite universe, and its volume dilutes special pleading to a vanishingly small and pathetic whimper. And yet what's left is better. No monument to the gods is as magnificent as the story of our planet; of the origin and evolution of life on the rare earth and the rise of a fledgling civilisation taking its first steps into the dark. We stand related to every one of Darwin's endless, most beautiful forms, each of us connected at some branch in the unbroken chain of life stretching back 4 billion years... We are on our own, and as the dominant intellect we are responsible for our panet in its magnificent and fragile entirety." - Professor Brian Cox, The Forces of Nature.
  • stillin
    stillin

Beautifully stated! Thanks for sharing.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Oh that I'm going to read to my kids.

Thank you for posting it.

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

Wonderful!!! Thank you.

That is a great quote.

Of course, it makes me feel so sad too.

I have in no way come to terms with my mortality. Having wasted 50 years of my life believing in a fairytale.

Being much closer to the end of my story than the beginning is so hard for me to deal with.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Brilliant!

Yes, life is short. So we need to find things to enjoy EVERY day!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit