I Didn't have to go to Memorial last night!!!

by aojumper 5 Replies latest jw friends

• aojumper
    aojumper

Usually my mom calls me and let's me know when it is, about a month before last year she even bought me a dress. It was really hard. This year...Nothing. This is good, because I since making my way through the first few books of the bible, i decided, i wanted to celebrate Passover. My friend is married to a jewish guy, not real active though...at all. Anywhoo, we decided to do a small passover and we had a friend send over a Haggadah (ha GAH da), and we did a passover dinner.

Lemme tell ya, this is what you want to celebrate! We drank four cups of wine before the end of a very short Haggadah and somewhere in there we thanked God for the product of the vine. A-men.

I just thought I'd share this as maybe an alternative to an otherwise crappy night (crappy for a variety of reasons). Get a bunch of friends together drink wine and eat a great big meal, and thank God for our freedoms.

K

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

I will never forget the Memorial when the elder that gave the talk focused on the excruiating details of what a person went through when crucified like Jesus...it was stomach turning....

• Robdar
    Robdar

AO,

That sounds like fun. Sometimes you will have to try a pagan celebration. Pagans sure do know how to party.

Robyn

• aojumper
    aojumper

Well, I wouldn't call it a pagan celebration as definitions go. I do say however that Jews know how to party.

K

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart
    the excruiating details of what a person went through when crucified like Jesus

Hey, I remember that talk! Gave me nightmares and made me feel like I should lie down in front of a bus or something because my life was too easy.

Nina

• bebu
    bebu

I've heard talks (and seen programs on TV) that detail the series of events of Jesus' arrest, whipping (etc.) and crucifixion. It is sobering.

Last year at our church, for Maundy Thursday service, the children's minister read something of a dramatic thing, and in the middle he began to weep while he read about how Jesus suffered. My son, then 10, also began to cry. Right after the service, he told me that seeing Jesus on a cross so much, he had somehow thought that it wasn't so hard or painful for him, or maybe just a tiny bit. He told me, "You mean, he really felt the pain of those nails?!?" I nodded. He cried some more and said, "I didn't understand this before; I can't hardly believe that Jesus loves me that much."

It's odd. Why is it that a JW talk can evoke feelings of guilt that cannot be resolved? "God did this for you, you scumbag sinner..."

My son didn't want to lay down under a bus, he began to love God more deeply. He was glad that God did not consider him to be worthless after all.

2 Cor 2:10 Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret, but worldly sorrow brings death... in a different way of saying it, godly sorrow gets resolved and we are spiritually healthy.

bebu

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit