Not another MEMORIAL thread!! (...But this one has pictures!)

by Gamaliel 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Gamaliel
    Gamaliel

refiner's,

Thanks. I'll look for it. I can tell from some recent study on them that you're right, they aren't as worried about EGW and some early "Pioneers." The JW Proclaimer's book went a little farther into their history than they had in the past, but it was obviously only to give the "illusion" of honesty. I think that the 7DA understood that they shouldn't have to feel haunted by their past, so they came clean with almost all of it. JWs have tied too much into the "why Jesus chose them and them alone" as the FDS. I get the impression that Russellites/Bible Student groups are more defensive of Russell than they have to be.

I was at the NYC Research Library on 42nd St last week to read some volumes of the Bible Examiner (George Storr's Six Sermons, etc). Turns out that a lot of this material was sent down to be microfilmed but had been "stolen" from the shelves. All of my several requests turned up only 5 empty microfilm boxes, and no actual books on the shelf either. They are trying to get a couple of things from other libraries for me, but I'd love to find a place that has all the 19th century Bible Examiner volumes, if they exist anywhere.

Gamaliel

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Gam.

From what I can see of it they appear to shift blame wherever they can as long as Ellen White is kept clean from rror. They will say that the everyone misunderstood what she said. They will say that Captain Bates made assumptions and misinterpreted Ellen G Whites words, they will say that James White (Mr Ellen G White) made the statement, not Ellen G White. Their only obsession is demonstrating that Ellen G White herself never uttered an incorrect statement. She is the Channel thru which God spoke. Not James White, not Bates, Not Joshua Himes, not William Miller.

All of these founding fathers of adventism carry the blame on their shoulders for everything thats gone wrong, to protect the reputation of the channel at all costs.

• Gamaliel
    Gamaliel

My wife's cousin was raised to be a JW, but she chose 7DA (to her mother's shame). Her focus is on healthy food. She claims not to give much emphasis to the person of Ellen G White, or the doctrines. She pretends that the doctrines are secondary and doesn't get preachy about them, but she will get defensive when I mimic her same, nonchalant, low-key manner to disagree with Ellen. I didn't realize they were still so hung up on her as the "infallible spokesperson." I could tell she was still being protected, but I'll have to read the material you suggested to get a better idea how far.

Thanks, Gamaliel

• sf
    sf

Hey boys, here a few 'tidbets' I found:

Columbia Union College: Theofield G. Weis Library (Religion ...
    ... Also included is the six-volume Ellen G. White biography, Ellen White in Europe,
    1885 ... Bliss, Thomas M. Preble, Uriah Smith, George Storrs, Joseph Harvey ...
    www.loc.gov/rr/main/religion/columbia.html - 10k - Cached - Similar pages

Comments Regarding Unusual Statements Found In Ellen G. White's ...
    ... exponents, led by Joseph Marsh, ORL Crosier, and George Storrs, believed that ... Messenger
    of the Lord: the Prophetic Ministry of Ellen G. White (Nampa, Idaho ...
    www.egwestate.andrews.edu/issues/faq-unus.html - 80k - Cached - Similar pages

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=George+Storrs+Ellen+G.+White

There are many more hits on the above link.

I've also got a message forum/ bulletin board system with these people as the topic as well. When I locate it in my massive 'saved' files, I'll post it.

sKally, it is sick and gross for jws to be Klowning around like this!, klass

• sf
    sf

APL CD-ROM
    ... George Storrs (1796-1879), 168, 342,585. ... This release is designed for users of
    the new Ellen G. White CD-ROM which has the Folio 4.2 search engine. ...
    www.aplib.org/CDRom.htm - 16k - Cached - Similar pages

APL Gallery
    ... (Vol. 1, No. 4 of "Lest We Forget" features George Storrs.), ... Ellen G.
    White (1827-1915) Ellen Harmon was born in Gorham, Maine. ...
    www.aplib.org/Gallery.htm - 44k - Cached - Similar pages
    [ More results from www.aplib.org ]

• sf
  • hallelujah
    hallelujah

The concept that we all die and rot while the anointed 144,000 go straight to Heaven to rule as demigods, is to me quite idolatorous. It's actually polytheist.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit