Cult or Religion

by Richard C B 225 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

I get it, I just couldn't be bothered discussing it.

I got the sense you were trying to defend the WT, and make former JWs out as bitter. That's of course not what you are doing.....

My own mother doesn't talk to me or her grandkids. Familiar story for those involved in the high control, manipulative JW cult.

• Richard C B
    Richard C B
    2+2=5 sorry to here that about your family circumstances. no 2+2=5 i wasnt suggesting that bitterness is the only reason thats why I put if up for debate but bitterness could be a reason for some. Im trying to define how we differentiate cult status as applied to a religion, and expanding the debate. Thanks again for your input
  • punkofnice
    punkofnice

@punkofnice ok, but what led up to your personal conclusion? if you dont mind me asking.

Cor blimey guv. Where to begin. Where to end even. Strewth. that's gonna take a long time............but to bung it in a nutshell: It comes down to ME - being raised in the watchtower and being robbed of a normal or average life (if such a concept exists). There were so many things I wish I could have achieved before I die......now I will struggle to achieve those things at my age.

By dangerous, I refer to such things as shunning which is psychologically damaging. The ban on blood transfusions that can lead to needless death. The total reliance upon some suits in America to do your thinking for you that turns a person into a near zombie. The watchtower by it's rules, protects paedophiles.....scum of the earth. To me those things are dangerous and therefore render the watchtower as dangerous. It perpetuates a delusion that can cause mental health issues and death.

I'm bored now....need my afternoon nap.

• cofty
    cofty

Let's say somebody becomes a "born-again" christian as I did when I left the Watchtower. I was attracted by the doctrine of "grace" and quickly accepted by the christian community in my town.

It soon becomes apparent that what you have actually done is to buy into a job-lot of doctrines, beliefs and customs. Most people adopt all of those without protest unaware of what is even happening.

In a very subtle way your acceptance by the group has become contingent on compliance and intellectual conformity. I remember being invited to speak to youth group in church. There was a Q&A session on any topic with no restrictions on the topics. I was asked about biblical literacy. I used the example, of Jonah to illustrate that the value of a story could be lost by focussing on whether it actually happened. There were tears and tantrums because I had denied that there was an actual man-swallowing fish.

I never accepted the doctrine of hell but attempting to discuss this with other experienced christians was a very uncomfortable ordeal. Although I still have friendly conversations with some from the church if I bump into them my rejection of faith has definitely destroyed friendships.

My old church were mostly a very lovely bunch of people but there is no denying they are a cult. Not as far along the spectrum as the Watchtower but a cult none the less.

• Richard C B
    Richard C B
    Very relivant points from punkofnice which kind of backed up my points from the topic starting post.
  • Richard C B
    Richard C B
    There a still no strong argument to establish The wathtower as a cult only on an individual leval can this be concluded. As to policy's that may be flawed this can only be used as ammunition for disgruntled ex witnesses to excuse themselves. So for now my opinion remains the same. Im still open to debate on this.
  • Bonsai
    Bonsai
    My "religion" taught me to deny my loved ones medical treatment that may save their lives. I refused to sign papers that gave doctors permission to perform a blood transfusion in the event it was necessary during child birth. As a result, I was denied the use of hospitals during a time when my wife was in dire straits for medical care and could have died at anytime. I was happy at the time to do whatever was in my power to deny them life. I'd say that makes me a member of a cult. I would sacrifice the life of the visible to satisfy the whims of the invisible. If JWism isn't a cult, then goddamn, I don't know what is.
  • Richard C B
    Richard C B
    @Bonsai Sorry to here about your about your families health problems and dont want to upset you, but it says in the new testament to abstain from blood and laws where giving to Noah after the flood on proper use of blood. So your argument cannot establish a cult status. Thanks for your input
  • cofty
    cofty
    it says in the new testament to abstain from blood and laws where giving to Noah after the flood on proper use of blood

That is based on a naive and simplistic interpretation of the text...

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    rcb- it says in the new testament to abstain from blood and laws where giving to Noah after the flood on proper use of blood. So your argument cannot establish a cult status.

Not all 'faiths' use the Bible. So, what does one use as a yardstick?

Also, not all xtians agree on the same things. That there is debate, disagreement or varied applications of Acts 15:29 for instance, just illustrates to me, the bible is not worth wasting your life on....that goes for all the other so called 'holy books' too.

Who put the 'cult' in 'difficult'?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit