TV.JW.ORG - October 2015: Neighborly love is more than just Field Service
- The October 2015 JW Broadcast, hosted by Gerrit Lösch is quite positive actually.
A lot of focus on "Field Service" needs to be balanced with other good works - supporting those in need around you - either in the congregation (witnesses) or in your classroom or neighbors (non-witnesses). Visiting and encouraging the sick and elderly is mentioned. Jesus parable of the merciful Samaritan is highlighted. Let's hope the JWs take this to heart.
Continues then with a couple who simplified their lives. Going from DINK (double income no kids) to Cart Witnessing and Window washing, and now so happy...
- Sounds like their charitable status has come in for some scrutiny ;)
My best guess is that they did it so at some later point, they will have video "evidence" (for some court case) that they encourage their adherents to be friendly to worldly scum.
I believe it, when they drop the personal field Service Report.
Which won't happen ever....
- Agree with the above three posts. They must see this as a real risk and doing what they can to create some evidence they are not just a publishing/property company.
- Totally agree with sir82. They dont mean it until it counts as service time
- Telling people about being good neighbours is not a new teaching for them. However, they talk so little about it, in comparison to preaching and being a JW, that it sounds like: "Oh and by the way, be good to your neighbours!". Its obviously not a priority to them. Building big cathedrals, oups, I mean, bethels, is their main priority now.
LOL!! This is exactly what I told my Eldubs, but NO!! I was not qualified or taking the lead. Why? My worldly neighbor had an emergency, I called an Elder for help. The Elder said, "No. Going in service."
I used the Samaritan example when explaining to the Eldubs why helping someone was an act of witnessing. In fact, it made my neighbor ask, "Are you an Xian?" What a fine example that opened the door to cult recruitment! What did the Eldubs think as they interrogated me in the back room?
They said I was in the wrong, and needed my thinking adjusted. The Elder who chose field circus was thinking spiritually. Of course, they also believe that Ray Franz, who wrote an extremely balanced article on faith based "works", was an apostate. HA! Helping a non-JW in need does not constitute "visible service" that can be quantified by the WTBTS. Legalism is like a cancer within the WTBTS.
Also, it was Gerrit who specifically mentioned "charity" at the historic, first ever, Regional Convention. In his nearly incoherent mumblings, the mention of "charity" in the worldly context ( not handing out Watchtowers ) was very out of place. I knew then, that it was only a matter of time before the WTBTS could start to practice real charity, but only if the Superior Authorities twisted their arm.
Don't be fooled! Follow the $$$!!!
If the WTBTS started a soup kitchen, there would be a time-clock that the Dubs would be required to punch. It would be located next to the credit card machine.
Maybe that's why they stopped the KH construction. They're planning on modifying the design to add a soup kitchen!