Watchtower says JW meetings follow the 1st century model

by ozziepost 20 Replies latest watchtower bible

• rocketman
    rocketman

proplog2 makes an interesting point.

Ozzie, could you post any quotes from those books on what they say about how the actual meetings took place?

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Bona dea. Thank you for the link Sadie. I can forsee hours of fascination

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

"Page six shows a picture of St Paul's Basilica in Rome with the message that this is not the place for "spiritual refreshment".

Well, I've been to 20 years of JW meetings, and I've been in St Paul's Basilica once, and I can tell you I gained a LOT more "spritual refreshment" there than I ever did in the 20 years of those tiresome, non-descript meeting places filled with drones.

I wonder, did the early Christians sing 3 sets of restrained, wanna-be hymns? Did they require specific dress for men and women that didn't align with current culture? Was everything pretty much contrived? I wonder if the scolls had the passages numbered and small-print questions corresponding to the numbered passages at the bottom to "guide" the indoctrination, er, discussion.

The JWs are so far removed from intelligent spiritual discourse that their comparing themselves to the first century Christians is quite a joke in any other circle than their own. What a dreamworld they live in.

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello Ozziepost,

thanks for this brilliant piece of observation.

I do remember reading what C.T. Russell

wrote about "meeting" together for study and

free discussion...!

Bona Dea: thanks for the excellent research.

It really prove that the WTBS Inc. is really far

away ...from the 1st century meetings' model!

Greetings, J.C.MacHislopp

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello everyone,

Dedalus: I did enjoy your comment about the

microphones!!!

Greetings, J.C.MacHislopp

• Warrigal
    Warrigal

I think the early christians gathered together socially....something the modern day JWs are afraid to do for fear of 'losing self control'.

Early christians also met to hear letters from the apostles read to their congregations. It didn't happen 5 times a week. Just when something important needed to be said.

Gawd! I wish they'd go back to the days of the first century christians. Then maybe the dubs could enjoy life and put a real smile on their pasty faces.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Roomie,

my world map shows Cyprus (Kittim) to be in the East Med...

Exactly! The WTS draws a tenuous connection between Kittim=Britain by saying that Britain annexed Cyprus. Hmmmmmm!!!

Cheers, Ozzie

• Room 215
    Room 215

Oz, and thanks for the book recommendations; I've already ordered the two from amazon.com! In both cases, the readers' reviews are extremely positive.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Good news, Roomie. Enjoy the read.

Best regards, Ozzie

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

The Book of Acts gives insights on what transpired in meetings of early Christians. Chapter 1:14 indicates that the first Christian community devoted themselves to prayer. In verse 15 Peter spoke and also chapter 2:14 onward. People were baptized in 2:41. But the best description comes in verses 42-47. 1. Adherence to the teachings of the Twelve. 2. The centering of Christian life in the Eucharist or communion (Lord's Supper). See also 1 Cor. 10:16-17. 3. Prayer. 4. A system of distribution of goods that led wealthier Christians to sell their possessions when the needs of the community's poor required it. 5. Continued attendance at the Temple, since there was yet no thought of any dividing line between Christianity and Judaism.

The apostle Paul shows the rules of order in meetings at 1 Cor. 24:26 "When you assemble, one has a psalm, another an instruction, a revelation, a tongue, or an interpretation. Everything should be done for building up." Eph. 5:19 includes saying psalms, singing hymns and spiritual songs and giving thanks always.

I see in these passages very little resemblance to Kingdom Hall meetings.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit