Smoking as an DF'n offence, since when?

by Haereticus 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Haereticus
    Haereticus

As far as I can remember (195X) smoking was not accepted among dubs. Somewhere along the line it was classified as a DF'n offence. When this change came about?

Mark

• blondie
    blondie

In the spring of 1973 it was announced that any baptized JWs that were smoking had 6 months to stop. After that time, they would be subject to the judicial process and possible disfellowshipping if they were unwilling to stop.

Growers and sellers of tobacco (betel nut, coca leaves, or other such addictive products) were also included.

Blondie

• SpannerintheWorks
    SpannerintheWorks

Thanks for the info., Blondie. Do you have any refs. for your statement? They could be very important. Will explain later!

Spanner

PS: I am referring to the date plus the "growers and sellers of tobacco" bit. Thanks.

• blondie
    blondie

*** w73 6/1 340-1 Keeping God's Congregation Clean in the Time of His Judgment ***
    NEED FOR DECISIVE ACTION NOW

For decades the publications of Jehovah’s witnesses have warned against the use of such addictive products as tobacco. Persons associated with congregations of Jehovah’s witnesses in almost all cases recognize the wrongness of these habits. Newly interested ones, then, should take a firm stand and not postpone matters by asking to be baptized and accepted into the congregation, or to share in presenting information from the platform in their Kingdom Halls, while still in the grip of nicotine or other harmful addiction. As the new order now draws very near, it is assuredly in harmony with God’s Word to take the position that those unwilling to abandon any such harmful addictive practices do not qualify for our baptizing them and recognizing them as approved members of Jehovah’s Christian congregation.

Actually, to accept such ones into the congregation could prove a disservice to them, salving their consciences. Refusal to accept them can prove a blessing, aiding them to feel seriously the need for decisive action and for preparing themselves for life in God’s new order. By facing up to such challenges one gains a moral victory that brings true strength and confidence in God’s power and willingness to help.

What, then, of those who in the past were baptized while still using such addictive products as tobacco, other drugs, or who are on some treatment such as the "methadone program" and who continue in such practice? They may now be given a reasonable period of time, such as six months, in which to free themselves of the addiction. So doing, they will show their sincere desire to remain within Jehovah God’s clean congregation of dedicated servants.

Surely if one can go through the agonizing experience of withdrawal from "hard"-drug addiction in order to become a true disciple of God’s Son, then those addicted to tobacco or similar products should have no sound objection to undergoing the lesser suffering of withdrawing from their addiction. Refusal to do so would certainly set a very poor example for the person striving to overcome a "hard"-drug habit who faces a much more difficult challenge.

If persons already baptized are not willing to abandon their addiction to damaging and enslaving products, what then? Then they show that, like Esau, they do not ‘appreciate sacred things,’ preferring such habits to the privilege of being part of Jehovah’s clean people. They should therefore be removed from the congregation due to such conduct unbecoming a Christian.—1 Cor. 5:7; Heb. 12:15, 16.

Kingdom Ministry 11/73 7 Tobacco Users ***

1 It will soon be about six months since The Watchtower in English pointed out the need for decisive action in stopping use of tobacco by dedicated persons. If there are still any who use tobacco, it would be good for them to make stronger efforts to stop now. Speak to the elders for assistance. The elders, applying the counsel of the Scriptures, must determine who may remain in the congregation.

Nonbaptized persons who use tobacco and simply attend meetings, without advocating the use of it or trying to involve the brothers in such practice, may be permitted to continue attending meetings, but they should not use tobacco at the Kingdom Hall. However, where individuals who are not baptized have associated in the sense of sharing in the field ministry and the Theocratic Ministry School, they should have been talked to by this time and if, within the same period of six months, they have not broken the habit, they should be told that they are not acceptable to share in the field service or the Theocratic Ministry School, if this has not already been done. They should be encouraged to inform the elders when they have completely ended tobacco use. But no further action will be taken, since they are not baptized. They may attend meetings. It would not be necessary to make a public announcement concerning these unbaptized persons.

If a tobacco user was once baptized but left the organization a long time ago and does not now claim to be one of Jehovah’s witnesses and his use of tobacco causes no reproach or disturbance in the congregation, it would not be necessary for the elders to search him out and inquire whether he is using tobacco or to take action against such a smoker who no longer associates.

• Haereticus
    Haereticus

Thank you Blondie, you are such a good source on exact information. No wonder I did not know this as I was DF'd before 1973. But as far as I can remember practically none of publishers did smoke. The only incident I can recall was a very old man at an assembly with his pipe around 1958-9.

Mark

• blondie
    blondie

Believe me, Mark, when this came out it was amazing how many people smoked and were baptized JWs. Quite a few did not make the 6 month cutoff and were disfellowshipped.

Blondie

• Gopher
    Gopher

If you were a known smoker, you couldn't get any congregation "privileges" (as I recall, -- I was only 12 in the year of '73).

I remember that this new policy made the national newswire, and a Society spokesman was quoted as saying that it would only affect about 1 or 2 percent of the Witness population.

I guess I believe Blondie instead who said an "amazing" number got caught up in this smoking dragnet.

It's amazing to me the number of things that are just as bad or worse, and the organization looks away -- things like slander, gluttony, child abuse, child molestation, -- do those things and you're still in fine standing. But take a legal drug (nicotine) and you're history!!

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

Assuming there were only 100,000 USA baptized publishers at that time, (and I don't have and facts, just supposition), if 2% was the number DF'd that is 2000 people cut off all at once. (not counting the regular attrition rate due to regular stuff like apostacy, inactivity and sex) I believe Blondie though, which means it was probably an even larger number.

• blondie
    blondie

What a bunch of statisticians. (smile)

I would say that it was at least more like 5 to 6 percent that were smoking. Of course, not everyone was DF'd. I would say that half of those struggled for the next few years, being privately reproved 2 or 3 times with the other half being immediately DF'd or DF'd after 2 or 3 years of trying to quit.. I know of a case where an elder had been smoking, was DF'd after 25 years of "faithful" service. Evidently, he had told the other elders that he wasn't smoking.

I've heard it said that Rutherford smoked. I'm surprised that some enterprising Bethelite from that time doesn't have a picture.

Blondie

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

Surpised they didn't go whole hog, like the morman's did and ban alcohol and caffeine.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit