Witnesses are celebrating the Memorial on the wrong day

by Rihannsu 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Mulan
    Mulan

They have gotten it wrong several times in the past few years. I understand it, if they do it after sundown on the 16th and the Passover is on the 17th, but they have been off by several days before.

And............it CAN be on the full moon. Usually it is near the full moon, or on it, but it isn't always the full moon.

• DJ
    DJ

Blondie
    Thanks for the link. I missed it before. I am more confused than ever now...The 16th is the Fast of the Firstborn not the Feast of Unleavened Bread. The bible says that Jesus ate the passover on the first day of the Feast of unleavened bread, which is on the 17th this year. What is going on here? www.passover.com dj

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

gosh, it seems every year someone has to jabber on about the supposed inaccuracy of the Memorial Celebration. No one really cares, the point is to commerorate Jesus death and sacrifice for us.

As for me, I am just upset because after going to the Memorial Wednesday, me and my family will be late to our friends' Passover Seder.

-Eduardo

• DJ
    DJ

Eduardo,

You are missing the point. It is NOT we, who call attention to scrupulously observing the day. It is the jw's. My interest is due to a friend who has great concerns that she is erring by not attending the memorial because they have the right day. She is actually willing to fore go all of her doubts about the wt including the partaking issue soley because of the day they hold it on.

• blondie
    blondie

Oroborus21, some don't care. But that doesn't mean "no one" cares. Someone, rhiannsu, cared enough to post a question. As to timing, I just follow the lead of the Jews who have been celebrating on the Passover date longer than anyone. So for those who commemorate Jesus death annually, it seems to be after sundown on April 16 this year. Of course, some Christians celebrate more frequently but that is another topic.

Blondie

• blondie
    blondie

The Passover is sometimes called the Feast of the Firstborn, because it was the firstborn of the Jews that were spared from death from the angel who passed over their homes smeared with the blood of the sacrificial lamb. That day is then followed by 7 days where unfermented bread is only allowed in the homes, Feast of Unfermented Cakes.

Blondie

• DJ
    DJ
  • DJ
    DJ

Blondie,

So......the first day aka THE FAST is sometimes called THE FEAST. That makes little sense to me. Nissan 14 is the FAST. The next 7 days are the FEAST. Right? So why would they squabble over the time of day, if by using OUR calendar, it causes them to observe the memorial (where Christians feasted.....) on the day of the FAST. Ironic.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Just a side note . . . The Christians I know do not celebrate the death of Christ, they celebrate the resurrection. In the context of history, the death was nothing special. The Romans were killing up to 700 Jews a day by crucifixion. It was the resurrection that was the miracle.

The Witnesses see importance in keeping the commandment to "keep doing this" (eating and drinking) while they ignore the command to sell all and give to the poor.

If the Witnesses wanted to follow Jesus, they would need to follow and practice Judaism . . . . for starters.

You are right on the Watch Tower Publishing Corporation's error of dates. By my secular calendar, the first day of Passover is April 17th in the usa.

Oh well!

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

To All,

Passover is indeed on the 17th as listed on both Jewish and secular calendars. But this only designates the daylight portion of Passover not its start. It actually begins at sundown on the 16th and ends at sundown on the 17th. This Passover date of the 17th is also Nisan 15 not Nisan 14 as the Watchtower claims. Therefore we should all partake on the 16th at sundown, the very start of Nisan 15 and the first Sabbath day associated with it. Most years the Watchtower misses this by a day and in any event they are always off by a Jewish date since they do not understand something as simple as the 7 days of Passover with it's two special Sabbath days that are all clearly marked on any Jewish calendar. That Jesus did not die on Nisan 14 as they teach is so fundamental to the faith it is a wonder how they could propagate such a lie for so long without anyone noticing.

Joseph

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit