When Rutherford Changed the Name to Jehovah's Witnesses

by Wild_Thing 23 Replies latest jw friends

• dropoffyourkeylee
  • FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

If what was written in the 1932 Yearbook was an accurate presentation of God giving "his" people a new name, and if as it is written it was given to ANOINTED ones, then WTH are the rank and file called Jehovah's Witnesses if THEY are not anointed?

Either they screwed up then (not hard to believe) or they screwed up now. (Also not hard to believe)

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Did Rutherford realize when he adopted the name Jehovah`s Witnesses to the International Bible Students Association, IBSA that it was a name invented by a Spanish (Catholic ) Monk of the 13th Century ? LOL

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

@ GIORDANO - Here are the scriptures you mentioned - plus numerous others to show that Christians were to do everything in Christ's name, never in God's name.

(Matthew 10:18) And you will be brought before governors and kings for my sake, for a witness to them and the nations.

(Mark 13:9) “As for you, look out for yourselves. People will hand you over to local courts, and you will be beaten in synagogues and be put on the stand before governors and kings for mysake, for a witness to them.

(Luke 24:47, 48) and on the basis of his (Jesus') name, repentance for forgiveness of sins would be preached in all the nations—starting out from Jerusalem. You are to be witnesses of these things.

(John 1:15) (John bore witness about him, (Jesus) yes, he cried out: “This was the one of whom I said, ‘The one coming behind me has advanced in front of me, for he existed before me.’”)

(John 5:37) And the Father who sent me has himself borne witness about me. You have neither heard his voice at any time nor seen his form,

(John 8:18) I am one who bears witness about myself, and the Father who sent me bears witness about me.”

(John 15:26, 27) When the helper comes that I will send you from the Father, the spirit of the truth, which comes from the Father, that one will bear witness about me; and you, in turn, are to bear witness, because you have been with me from the beginning.

(Acts 1:8) But you will receive power when the holy spirit comes upon you, and you will be witnesses of me in Jerusalem, in all Judea and Samaria, and to the most distant part of the earth.”

(Acts 10:39) And we are witnesses of all the things he did both in the country of the Jews and in Jerusalem; but they did away with him by hanging him on a stake.

(Acts 10:43) To him (Jesus) all the prophets bear witness, that everyone putting faith in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name.”

(Acts 13:31) and for many days he became visible to those who had gone with him from Galilee up to Jerusalem. These are now his witnesses to the people.

(Acts 22:15) because you are to be a witness for him (Jesus) to all men of the things you have seen and heard.

(Acts 22:20) and when the blood of Stephen your witness was being spilled, I was standing by and approving and guarding the outer garments of those doing away with him.’

(Acts 23:11) But the following night the Lord stood by him and said: “Take courage! For just as you have been giving a thorough witness about me in Jerusalem, so you must also bear witness in Rome.”

(Acts 26:16) But rise and stand on your feet. This is why I have appeared to you, to choose you as a servant and a witness both of things you have seen and things I will make you see respecting me.

(1 Corinthians 1:6) ...just as the witness about the Christ has been made firm among you,

(1 Timothy 2:6, 7) ...who gave himself a corresponding ransom for all—thisis what is to be witnessed to in its own due time. For the purpose of this witness I was appointed a preacher and an apostle...............

(2 Timothy 1:8) So do not become ashamed either of the witness about our Lord or of me,.......

(1 John 5:9) If we accept the witness of men, the witness of God is greater. Because this is the witness God gives, the witness that he has given about his Son.

(Revelation 1:9) I John, your brother and a sharer with you in the tribulation and kingdom and endurance in association with Jesus, was on the island called Patʹmos for speaking about God and bearing witness concerning Jesus.

(Revelation 12:17) So the dragon became enraged at the woman and went off to wage war with the remaining ones of her offspring, who observe the commandments of God and have the work of bearing witness concerning Jesus.

(Revelation 17:6) And I saw that the woman was drunk with the blood of the holy ones and with the blood of the witnesses of Jesus.

(Revelation 19:10) At that I fell down before his feet to worship him. But he tells me: “Be careful! Do not do that! I am only a fellow slave of you and of your brothers who have the work of witnessing concerning Jesus.Worship God! For the witness concerning Jesusis what inspires prophecy.”

(Revelation 20:4) And I saw thrones, and those who sat on them were given authority to judge. Yes, I saw the souls of those executed for the witness they gave about Jesus......

Christians were to witness for Christ. There is not one single verse which commands Christians to witness for God. Scripturally, Jesus Christ was God's only appointed witness.

(Revelation 1:5) "....Jesus Christ, “the Faithful Witness,”

(Revelation 3:14) "....the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation by God:"

(Revelation 19:11) "And the one seated on it is called Faithful and True,.."

The following verses also demonstrate to Christians that they were to rely on Christ's name for all things, because he was their mediator for all things.

(Matthew 10:22) And you will be hated by all people on account of my name, (Jesus) but the one who has endured to the end will be saved.

(Matthew 18:20) For where there are two or three gathered together in my name, there I am in their midst.”

(Matthew 19:29) And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or lands for the sake of my name will receive a hundred times as much and will inherit everlasting life.

(Matthew 24:9) “Then people will hand you over to tribulation and will kill you, and you will be hated by all the nations on account of my name.

(Luke 10:17) Then the 70 returned with joy, saying: “Lord, even the demons are made subject to us by the use of your name.”

(Luke 21:12) “But before all these things happen, people will lay their hands on you and persecute you, handing you over to the synagogues and prisons. You will be brought before kings and governors for the sake of my name.

(Luke 21:16, 17) Moreover, you will be handed over even by parents and brothers and relatives and friends, and they will put some of you to death, and you will be hated by all people because of my name."

(John 2:23) However, when he was in Jerusalem at the festival of the Passover, many people put their faith in his (Jesus') name when they saw the signs that he was performing.

(John 5:27, 28) And he has given him authority to do judging, because he is the Son of man. Do not be amazed at this, for the hour is coming in which all those in the memorial tombs will hear his voice......

(John 14:26) But the helper, the holy spirit, which the Father will send in my name, that one will teach you all things and bring back to your minds all the things I told you.

(John 15:16)You did not choose me, but I chose you, and I appointed you to go and keep bearing fruit and that your fruit should remain, so that no matter what you ask the Father in my name, he may give it to you.

(Acts 2:38) Peter said to them: “Repent, and let each one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the free gift of the holy spirit.

(Acts 3:6) However, Peter said: “Silver and gold I do not possess, but what I do have is what I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ the Nazarene, walk!”

(Acts 4:10) let it be known to all of you and to all the people of Israel that in the name of Jesus Christ the Nazarene, whom you executed on a stake but whom God raised up from the dead, by means of him this man stands here healthy in front of you.

(Acts 9:14-16) And here he has authority from the chief priests to arrest all those calling on your (Christ's) name.” But the Lord said to him: “Go! because this man is a chosen vessel to me to bear myname to the nations as well as to kings and the sons of Israel. For I will show him plainly how many things he must suffer for my name.”

(Acts 10:48) With that he commanded them to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they requested him to stay for some days.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit