A Writer's Graveyard

by compound complex 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

CC, I meant to send this via pm but it wouldn't format properly. Please don't take this as an attack on the content. Its my habit, having received a certificate in editing and publishing, to see how to clarify and condense any redundancies. See if you like this edited version. Does it contain your thoughts sufficiently?

Immersed in Dickens and Hawthorne, I cannot easily shake off their dusty antiquity. of a bygone era. However,(its) scant reality (what "its"?) inhabits, not the present, but my sad hearkening back to the shadows of long ago the past.

I'm hooked on Dickens and Hawthorne and can't get them out of my head. Not them, not their time. It's not real -- I get it -- this going back in time to yesterday's shadows.

Hot blood pulses anew within fingers, I thought stilled forever in a writer's graveyard of unwritten verse, It is a reluctant awakening to a life much sadder than that endured by storybook friends who cannot see me, know me.

I'm writing again, fingers to the keyboard, where once I figured I was washed up as a writer. Yet, I wonder if my old, dusty friends were better off than I am? Who knows? There's no way to bridge time.

Permit me to reenter that precious twilight betwixt my present and the past, the faraway there of dearly departed poets. If I search within the darkened channels of elusive time, may might I find old friends who have been rendered immortal in ink?

In any event, I need to get back, back to that time and place where my favorite writers lived. They reside have lived forever in the books I read. I want to join them.

Its hard to be edited, I know. That was part of the curriculum of the editing course. I hope I was able to show a concise way to express what was on your mind. Editors are the assassins of our beloved verbiage. lol Love ya bro.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, Wasa, for the very helpful editing.

As an editor, I do for other writers what you have done for me. I clearly see the redundancies that I would strike out in another writer's work. I cannot believe what I overlooked. That's why all writers need editors!

Immersed in Dickens and Hawthorne, I cannot easily shake off their dusty antiquity. However, I am not living in the present but hearken to shadows of the past. Hot blood pulses anew within fingers stilled forever in a writer's graveyard of unwritten verse, a reluctant awakening to a life sadder than that endured by storybook friends who cannot see me, know me.

Permit me to reenter that precious twilight betwixt my present and the past, the faraway of dearly departed poets. If I search within the dark channels of elusive time, might I find old friends who have been rendered immortal in ink?

BTW: I changed might to may and you corrected it to my original. For a moment I did know the difference.

Love you, too, Bro!

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Writing comes easy to many. Humility not so much. Thanks for not going off on me. I read about purple prose again recently, something you are not guilty of by the way, and reread about beige prose. I had to laugh. The tendency is to go too far one way or the other. Some would think this exercise over kill. The reality is that the best writing is done in a rewrite. I even reread and write my posts.

I agree, we become word blind when imagination and expression go unchecked. I really like your final draft there, its to the point without sacrificing your voice. Well done.

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

Happy to find another fan of Dickens. I have just finished another read of my existing collection (somewhat limited but I think I have most of his best works). What is your favorite work by Dickens?

On a side note, I found a box of old books that my father read (with his notes) while he was trying to get his college degree as a Captain in the USAF. Currently reading Crime and Punishment. I am amazed. I think he actually outdoes Dickens with his character descriptions. Mr Micawber was awesome but I have just finished with my introduction to Marmeladov in chapter 2, and I think I have a new favorite author.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks!

Back later . . .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit