Salute the flag

by manon 19 Replies latest jw friends

• asortafairytale
    asortafairytale

oh *shudder*

I remember that blue brochure. My mother, too, brought that in at the beginning of every school year. As I got older(3rd grade on), I had to bring it in, and explain what I believed. It really wasn't so bad, not saying the pledge, except when we had a substitute teacher. I was sent down to the principal's office more than once by a sub, who thought I was just being disobedient.

I agree w/ Aztec and Realist. I still don't sing the national anthem, and I never will. People follow blindly with nationlism too. Its scary.

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

Balance. Balance in everything is vital.

Saying "I'll never pledge anything to anything" is ridiculous.

*Blind* nationalism, just like *blind* cultism, is not a balanced way to look at anything.

I have no reason to pledge the flag now. However, as a child, I wanted to. I also know every word, in spite of never speaking the words in school. I do stand when the national anthem is played. I am showing respect for the people who helped create our country and the people who are currently serving the public in every capacity from police officer to elected official. I am glad there were people willing to fight the system 225 years ago; otherwise my ancestors would have no where to go and I might be living on a farm in Poland, Ireland or Sweden.

National pride is something every country needs. If you don't care about your country, community or those around you, you might as well go join Saddam's caravan.

If you hate/are embarassed by or despise where you live, why are you still there? Why are you paying taxes? If you don't agree with the way things are run, you have choices. Run for office yourself, back a candidate who you agree with (not just voting; give money and join their election committee), or leave the town, county, state, country where you are.

Again, when you find Utopia, let the rest of us know. We can all get together and decide who will be in charge of how we live, where we live and who will make the rules.

• rocketman
    rocketman

The jws, in the experience of dealing with my daughter's school years, make too big a deal about approaching teachers. Way too big. Most teachers are thoroughly familiar with the fact that some of their students might not salute the flag due to certain factors. We'd take the brochure in, my daughter would be all uptight, and the teachers would invariably, each year, say 'yeah, I know' very casually. Finally, we just stopped doing that. It was a waste and caused us unneeded anxiety.

Though I have not had occasion to say the pledge, my family now stands at the playing of the national anthem.

• larc
    larc

Thank you Teenyuck,

My sentiments exactly. To love your country is not "blind patriotism" as some have asserted. No, our system is not perfect, and we all kwow and recognize that, but it is far better than other systems.

Yes, I love my country with all its faults. I also love the high standard of living it has given its people. Yes, I am thrilled when I hear our national anthem. I love the fourth of July, and the fireworks, and the patriotism that is felt.

• MoeJoJoJo
    MoeJoJoJo

That definitely was difficult, because it was something you had to face every single school day unlike holidays and birthdays.

It was horrible when a classmate would raise their hand right after the pledge, and ask the teacher in front of the whole class why I wasn't reciting it. A couple of times I had to explain to the class.

• Realist
    Realist

Aztec,

As usual, I have to agree with Realist.

thank you for saying this!!! its really nice to know that!!!

• manon
    manon

Realist,

I didn't answer your question earlier before because I found no validity to it. I fail to see the link or trade-off you imply. There is no substitution for me from one ideal to another. Instead what I do see is the freedom of choice a choice that's backed by law. You can find these in your bill of rights. These laws grant us freedom of religion and speech. My parent excercised her right to choose for her children based on what she thought best and on her religious convictions. Today my rights are also protected to choose according to my own beliefs. Thanks for posting.

Aztec,

I'm glad you were able to find strength and wisdom from this childhood experience. Thank you for sharing.

Asortafairytale,

I can surely relate to the substitute teacher. Yes ,It was also my experience to find them less than understanding even mean sprited at times. Thanks for sharing your story.

Teenyuck,

Balance and choice what an interesting mix. Thank you for your feedback.

Rocketman,

I was truly waiting for a parents perspective on this subject. I'm all the way with you on this one jw's do make way to much out of this at the expense of children. I can understand wholeheartedly your daughters uneasy and unsettled feelings I've been there the only difference it was 34 years ago for me. Thanks for your input.

Mojo,

Again I'll agree 100% with you on this, the daily exposure places pressure to make the right choices and act accordingly it's a constant test. Thank you for sharing.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Tina and Larc,

I agree that there is a balance. I am trying to find that right now. I do tend to see nationalism and religionism as being pups from the same litter, hence my discomfort at the idea of making a nationalistic gesture.

Oh, and Larc, I think that "The Star Spangled Banner" was a lame choice. I like "Let Freedom Ring" and "America the Beautiful" much better.

• Aztec
    Aztec

Realist, no problem.:) I think you make a lot of sense. Teenyuck, I don't hate my country or government. I just think it could be better. It doesn't matter where I live in my lifetime, I will always try to make it a better place! I have never been terribly patriotic because I follow nothing without questioning it. That's just how I am. Dan, "America the Beautiful" would be a much better choice. Manon, thanks for this thread!:)~Aztec

• Aztec
    Aztec

Oops I forgot asortafairytale. I agree!:) ~Aztec

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit