Cost of War

by hippikon 18 Replies latest jw friends

• hippikon
    hippikon

I’ve seen estimates that the war in Iraq has cost so far $160,000,000,000 US

Imagine what you could buy with that kind of money

1,600 hospitals

160,000 schools

1,600,000 homes

And you could irrigate 160,000,000 acres of land or You could buy a small home for every family in Iraq.

Every Casualty cost $32,000,000 (Admittedly you would have got more casualties per buck using conventional weapons - World War II only cost about $1,000,000 per casualty)

Still if the US can keep Iraq they will get a bargain – But they’re giving it back?

Well I guess they will get the money back by selling re runs of “I Love Lucy” and “My Three Sons”

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

The Cost of Freedom: Priceless!

"There is no vice in the pursuit of liberty....."

• Charmed
    Charmed

Sheesh! That's alot of money. Maybe we should cut taxes...

• Skeptic
    Skeptic
    I’ve seen estimates that the war in Iraq has cost so far $160,000,000,000 US

Are you saying that the Iraq war has cost 160 Billion dollars so far? That figure seems extraordinarily high. The war is only a few weeks old.

At first I thought it was a typo. Then I saw your other figures.

Every Casualty cost $32,000,000 (Admittedly you would have got more casualties per buck using conventional weapons - World War II only cost about $1,000,000 per casualty)

One has to be careful with per casualty. In theory, if you spend one hundred dollar to invade a small country and every one surrenders, your cost per casualty is 0 divided by 100, or close to an infinite number of dollars per casualty!

World War II was spread over several years and was worldwide. And millions (hundreds of millions?? I dont have the exact figure) of people died. Hence, only $1million per casualty. The Iraq War is only a few weeks old, and not so many have died.

The only reasonable way to say that each casualty cost $32 million would make sense is if only a few people died. That would be a good thing.

Still if the US can keep Iraq they will get a bargain – But they’re giving it back?

Iraq will still be tightly controlled behind the scenes by the U.S., have no fear. Control of oil and control of the Middle East will make it well-worth it for America.

Richard
  • foreword
    foreword

Thi Chi,

So then you'll be happy to pay more taxes to have freed the Iraqis....

Raise their lifestyle and lower yours at the same time....

so commendable of you....

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

You proceed from a false assumption. There are many, many ways to maintain our life style and reduce taxes while fighting terrorism.......We need to rethink what we are funding and why. We need to overhaul the tax system which cost over one billion just to implement. We need to grow our economy while reducing our trade deficit........

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

There's a lot of money in oil folks.

People so easily forget what this war is all about

unc who thinks we lost in the war on tourism

• foreword
    foreword

And plus, now the Kurds want a piece of the pie......they "liberated" the city of Kirkuk (without the help of US) and affirm they are ready to administer it's oil rich resources within 4 days. Oops, I don't think the US had foreseen that one. To top it off, the US made the Kurds allies in their fight of Saddam. Now Turkey (US ally) is a little worried about this and was ready to take out some of it's army to defend it's security in the east. The US said not to worry "we'll take care of it ourselves".

I wonder what they'll tell the Kurds, they seem pretty sure they own the city and have a right to claim it. These guys are against Saddam and not known as to be associated with terrorism ( I don't know for sure) so no use of force is admitted here.

You gonna have to wiggle and a jiggle on that one Mr Bush.

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

UB:

1. It would be a lie not to admit oil is the life blood of any Nation, not just the US.

2. France has more of a vested interest than we do.

3. Which is better, take out a dictator and deal for oil, or keep the dictator and put the money in his pocket? Unlike France, the US has taken the high road.

• Farkel
    Farkel

If one Iraqi gains freedom from whatever it costs, the price is worth it.

The counter-argument would be, "the price of freedom is measured in dollars. If it costs too many dollars, let people live in slavery."

We are not talking about freedom for ONE Iraqi, but freedom for 25,000,000 Iraqis. What human being who ever lived can take credit for that incredibly priceless gift to humankind? What Country who ever existed could undertake a war which overtook an entire war-driven country and hardly destroy ANY of their infrastructure, and do it in three weeks?

Whine on, wacko liberals. George Bush will go down in history for taking a monumental risk and having a monumental victory. After you figure that out, you can go on and have your "Goregasims" and find something else to find "blame" with. That's all you do, isn't it? Just find "blame" and provide no answers except to stick your hands in our pockets and take more and more and more of our money for your social experiments.

If John F. Kennedy was alive today, he would not be considered a "Democrat." In fact the "Democrats" would probably have him shot.

The wacko liberals are such a joke, that I cannot comment further. Losers.

Farkel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit