For you ol' timers: How has the WT changed in your view?

by logansrun 14 Replies latest jw friends

• logansrun
    logansrun

How have the publications changed over the years, in your opinion? Do you feel that they are more "politically correct" now than in the past? What about writing style? Do you think that it is more "cult-like" and intellectually dishonest than in the past? Illustrations -- more destruction pictured or less? Are there more pictures in general (translation: less substance)?

I guess I'm just fascinated by the sociological phenomen of the WT and how it has evolved.

Bradley

• logansrun
    logansrun

On the question about illustrations of destruction...does anyone notice if the WT is depicting less dramatic destruction of urban settings since 9-11 ?

• reubenfine
    reubenfine

I was a witness from birth in 1956 until about 7 or 8 years ago. I rarely read a publication now, but I would definitely say they are dumbed down both by content and writing style. I would think they are trying to appeal to a generally less intelligent person nowadays, but that's giving the writers credit for having any intelligence themselves. The older publications seemed to be a no hold barred, call out the Devil and the world to a barroom fight, but now they seem like whimperings and trying to put people on guilt trips. I would say they are definitely more cult-like, although maybe I just see it now more for what it is, and the dishonesty is even greater now especially for what they don't say, like the UN scandal, etc.

But what do I know!

• garybuss
    garybuss

The serious writings were written by the Watch Tower Publishing Corporation about the Jehovah's Witnesses.

Now the serious writings are written by the Watch Tower Publishing Corporation to the Jehovah's Witnesses.

• logansrun
    logansrun

Garybuss,

Succinctly put, and I think I know exactly what you mean.

B

• larc
    larc

The world of the JW's was very different in my time. I was born in 1940. Back then, there were very few JW's. We rented upstairs rooms at a down town business. There were about 30 in the congregation. There no children there except for my sister and myself. So, as a result, I was allowed to play with "wordly" children in the neighborhood. Later on, I was allowed to do such things as play baseball on the high school team. Our dating practices were different back then. We were encouraged to "shop around." A date was not considered an avenue to marriage. There were no chaperones on the dates either.

• gumby
    gumby

Do you feel that they are more "politically correct" now than in the past? Yes. I think with the Apostates thriving loke never before, lawsuits, and media exposer, they watch closer what and how they say things

What about writing style? Do you think that it is more "cult-like" and intellectually dishonest than in the past? Since their principal oracle has died.....much of what is written is re-hash of old material

Illustrations -- more destruction pictured or less? Less. See comment on first question

Are there more pictures in general (translation: less substance)? I don't see much of a change there.

Reubenfine:,

I was born into it in '54 and have also been out 7 or 8 years. Great minds act alike

Gumby

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Interesting question

My sense of the present WT literature is that it is carefully rewritten older material edited for political correctness (don't want any legal action now do we?) and for palatablility to the public. I think this is based on a newer generation that doesn't have the ability to think deeply on spiritual matters. Most of the old-timers were raised on undeciferable books that were studied at the Book studies and were terribly boring and WT studies that repeat the same tired lessons over and over just using a rewritten script. I suspect the result of years of this there are few left who truly love the study of the Bible rather than the regurgitation of old material.

In other words their minds are turning to mush - like the mush they serve up as "a spiritual banquet" but turns out to be nothing more than pablum of the worst kind - watered down yet. Eventually the boredom should force the whole thing to collapse on itself.

Personally I loved going back to school after I left. My mind was starved for 33 years for a feast of information

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

I'm in the same lines as Larc. For me, I was crazy about baseball as a kid. Yes, sports was my thing. I also loved going to movies, my brother was an usher and my brothers and I would only pay eight cents to see two feature movies, two cartoons, news reel and coming attractions. Later we paid 12 cents and then a quarter! I saw plenty of war and western movies. After years of viewing such movies seeing destructive photo's on the cover of the magazines didn't phase me, it was second nature.

I slept a lot at meetings and assemblies. When I get bored, I would either daydream or immerse myself into thinking about other things.

As kids we all have dreams and my dream was to be a ballplayer. Subliminally, the message of 'worldliness' was always present (guilt influence) and this held me back in pursuing my goals. In short, I enjoyed the earlier days and have no regrets. I take life as it comes and I handle my problems on the spot. The only thing I can change is myself.

Guest 77

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

A good question this, something we've talked about with others. It seems to me that the literature's writing style is now more "professional", i.e. worldly, in that it caters for a global readership. There seems to be more vitriol in the Towers of the early fifties. But there is a danger....

Many have found at first hand that what is in the magazines is NOT necessarily what is being taught from the platforms in the Kingdom Halls. The elders receive their "secret instructions" by means of letters to BOE. So, we have a situation where the R&F are believing that the Society says one thing, whereas the elders know differently. In short, the Society's Writing Department has become more adept at speaking "with forked tongue".

Cheers, Ozzie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit