Every Country and Land... Except Oman

by ILoveTTATT2 26 Replies latest jw friends

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Yeah the politics of JW "lands" is an interesting study in itself. Categorising Northern Ireland as Ireland, and putting Taiwan under the Japan column it looks like in the photo above. Palestine listed sometimes too, separating Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico, then adding them to US, but not Puerto Rico. Falklands as a separate land. In trying to be "neutral" they sometimes make the most surprising political choices. I think it demonstrates there can be no such thing as complete neutrality in what constitutes a "land" and what name to give it. I wonder when they switched from using colonial names for African countries, exactly when they changed, or when they became independent, if that's when they changed, or sooner or later. I wonder when they stopped listing Tibet or if they ever listed East Timor, Gaza Strip or West Bank. Do they list Cyprus as one land? I think they do. Maybe it's a special policy for islands they think should be united. Or maybe it's an slight anti-British bias in the case of both Ireland and Cyprus. Falklands I don't know. It would be interesting to know how it's listed in the Spanish yearbook.

• steve2
    steve2

The more islands you list separately the more you can crow about how many "lands" you preach in.

• Laika
    Laika

I pine for the days when Jersey and Guernsey were separate lands.

Do they list Cyprus as one land? I think they do.

Only one Cyprus listed but the population is equal only to the Greek side so I guess North Cyprus is part of Turkey statistics? I'm not sure even the Watchtower knows their system!

• ILoveTTATT2
    ILoveTTATT2
    Yeah the politics of JW "lands" is an interesting study in itself. Categorising Northern Ireland as Ireland, and putting Taiwan under the Japan column it looks like in the photo above. Palestine listed sometimes too, separating Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico, then adding them to US, but not Puerto Rico. Falklands as a separate land. In trying to be "neutral" they sometimes make the most surprising political choices.
    Completely true SBF. Have you looked at the data? The link is HERE.

In the link you can see the "lands" as listed on the YB, then alphabetically, then you can see what years they were actually in there in the "Alpha+ Years active".

• ILoveTTATT2
    ILoveTTATT2
    The more islands you list separately the more you can crow about how many "lands" you preach in.
    Very true also. Lots of the current places they list are actually different islands in the same entity (For example, they divide the Federated States of Micronesia into three or four).
  • ILoveTTATT2
    ILoveTTATT2
    Has Afghanistan ever been blessed with the presence of JWs?
    Yes, for many years. From 1958 to 1980, in fact.
  • darkspilver
    darkspilver

putting Taiwan under the Japan column it looks like in the photo above.

I think that's because the WT often listed countries under the country that had oversight of them - particularly in the early days.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit