Help!!, I have to do a presentation!!!

by ScoobySnax 12 Replies latest jw friends

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

OK I have to do this presentation and its not until the first week of June as I told you with a powerpoint presentation. I'll get to grips with that I guess, its not like I'm computer illeterate at 32, but I'll have to sort that. My point is, we had a talk today on my study day from the course from some bloke in charge of A/E and emergency admissions about how to present your projects.......clearly this bloke is an expert on the subject, and looking around at my colleagues, his confidence didn't inspire them but I think just made them feel even more incapable! (me, a bit included) he kept using them crap phrases like "touching base" "lets network" "it's a win-win situation"......boy do I hate them phrases.

For my project I have chosen "Better communication within the nursing/medical team" and I've got a rough idea of what I want to say, but I just want to know if any of you have any good advice about presentation skills I need to employ. In my own ward environment I'm, if anything over the top, laughing and joking, have plenty of confidence, because I know them, and they're my staff. But the thought of having to present infront of a room of 100, made up of all the hospital managers and directors is starting to make me quake a bit!!! I usually get by this with using humour to "break the ice" but not sure this will be appropriate here, after all I supposed to be a concientous ward manager now . So basically....HELP!!

• JH
    JH

I like powerpoint. Often, instead of sending ordinary e mails to friends, I send them a powerpoint presentation instead. It is more work but lots of fun.

You can add sounds and effects and make beautyful presentations. If you were close, I could help.

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

Thanks JH, I wish you were closer too, ....I'd love to add a bit of music to it to liven it up a bit!!

• Valis
    Valis

Hey Scoobs...I teach so I'll throw in my 2 pennies. If you know what you are going to say make a personal outline with notes and another more structured for the audience to look at. Try to sound confident, but unscripted, use jokes when appropriate, let your outgoing nature assume its role and try to have a conversation with them versus a "talk" per se. If anything, leave plenty of room for your audience to participate and share their experience, suggestions, concerns, etc. Just be able to get back to your outline when YOU are ready and keep their comments "on topic".. ...As well, I have found that in order to keep from sounding like a know it all, admit when you don't know and if all else fails ask your audience (i.e the real know it alls) *LOL*. One thing this approach does is unclude your audience and draws them into being interested. It also cuts down on the time you have to be speaking and lemme tell you, when you go for more than 10 or 15 minutes, much less and hour and twenty, which is my usual MO, it really helps. When you are including the audience MAKE SURE TO ASK THEM TO RAISE THEIR HANDS WHEN WANTING TO ANSWER, you would be suprised at how an audience will not pay attention to this..*LOL* Ah yes, and try to ask them leading questions that can perhaps lead you to your next point in your outline. Also, try to throw a joke or cartoon into your Power Point presentation...Another way to lighten the mood and keep your audience's attention. Hope this helps and good luck. Do let us know how it goes.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

Valis..... WOW!.....THANKS MATE! invaluable advice, I'll have to print this off so I can remember the points you said. ....I was thinking about deflecting them stary/penetrative eyes at me back onto them by asking relevant questions, the key I guess is linking it back to your topic. thanks again.

• larc
    larc

I agree with Valis, that audience participation is very useful. After all, they have a lot of experience on a day-to-day level with communication of the type you are considering. I don't know which questions would be appropriate, since I don't know your environment. In general, they should be open ended questions, that are nonthreatening. Ahead of time, prepare your list of anticipated answers. Have these on a list to show the audience after their comments and acknowledge new ideas that you had not thought of. That's one approach. You said that the thought of speaking to so many people, with high level people there scares you. While presenting, pick out three or four people from different parts of the room, and look at these people as you scan the audience. Pretend that you are talking to these as you would in a regular conversation. I found that this works for me. Back to the open ended question. I just thought of one. "What do you see as the advantages and disadvantages of different forms of communication." Then you can take several, one at a time, such as: memo, e-mail, telephone, one on one, meetings, etc. I am sure that the topic of meetings will generate a lot of discussion. On this latter item, meetings. You could ask for comments on how meetings can be improved. Again, have a prepared list of your ideas to present after they have participated. Well, that's all for now. If I think of anything else, I get back to you.

• fraidycat9
    fraidycat9

Also... (and trust me on this one)!!!

Be careful with the special effects (zooms, wipes, etc;) Use them sparingly!!!!.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Some more tips,

• Thinking about the WHOLE audience can be intimidating. Instead, make eye contact several friendly members of the audience as you talk. Talk to them, not the entire group.
    • To acknowledge people, don't point, use an open palm. You will see that army fella who briefs the reporters every day does this. Open palms are friendly. Pointing can be seen as a challenge.
  • happyout
    happyout

Hi, Scooby,

One of my pet peeves with Powerpoint presentations is when people put too many words on a slide. The rule of thumb (with exceptions, of course) is no more than 10 words per slide. Also, don't read word for word from your slides, they are to augument your presentation, not make it.

Good luck, have a great time with it.

Happyout

• larc
    larc

If you have a long list of items as a visual, break it down and show the first one, then add the second one, and so on. If you put the whole list up there at once, your audience will wander through your list and become distracted.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit