The worst happens.

by Vetro 10 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Vetro
    Vetro
    Say, a woman is going in for colon surgery, it is already known by most of her doctors she has several pychiatric illnesses, along with more than several medications for it, it's also obvious she's a bit slow and not very good at understanding concepts, she's a JW baptized, her husband is baptized, used to be a elder and is no longer practicing, the wife refuses blood, but the husband seems anxious, unnerved about this, he realizes something isn't right about the WT, but can't quite break free, he doesn't want her to die if she need something like blood, but can't convince the wife, the rest of her family will be there, all ex witnesses including her children and mother who was a witness, she signs the form refusing blood. During surgery the worst happens, she starts bleeding, it doesn't stop, it gets bad enough even volume expanders won't keep her barely alive. Will the surgeon just let her die without alert the family what is happening and maybe keep his oath to protect life and perhaps allow a chance at her husband to make a decision to allow a transfusion, or will he just let her die as her deluded wishes dictate and tell the family afterwards?
  • Phizzy
    Phizzy

I would guess it depends on the individual Doctor or Surgeon. I know that here in the U.K the guidance from the Ethics Committee is to respect the wishes of even the badly deranged as to refusing treatment, which is the person's Legal Right.

I have known of a number of cases where the Doctors and Nurses etc have made repeated efforts to get the JW, and or his/her family to change their minds

Such a situation is highly distressing for the Medical Staff, and it is downright evil of the JW religio to keep insisting on their discredited, unscriptural stance on life-saving Blood Transfusions.

The G.B of JW's has Blood on all 14 hands.

• Vetro
    Vetro
    Wish me and my family luck.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    Hi Vetro. Welcome to the forum. Please tell us a little about yourself and your predicament.
  • Sabin
    Sabin
    Hey Vetro, so incredibly nice to meet you. Sorry that you are having to face this situation what else is there to say. If the husband feels this way then he can talk to his wife about it privately, ultimately it is her choice wether anybody agrees or no. An opinion can be shouted but she will decide what it is she wants. The best advice I can offer & I confess I have never been in this situation so I`m not speaking from experience, is to say just be as supportive as you can be. I do so hope that everything turns out well for you all. SABIN
  • umbertoecho
    umbertoecho

Oh no. I'm so sorry Vetro. Truly sorry. As I read this post I realised it was going to be some awful reality being dished up. I don't know what to say, except....I'll keep your name in my head as I go and drag my own nephew out of his pithy lodgings in a minute.

Very sorry. I have to go right now. I will think of you hard though.

xxx Juliette

• Dissonant15
    Dissonant15
    Hi Vetro. So sorry you are going through this. At the hospitals I've worked in the USA the blood refusal form is easily overturned in the middle of surgery by the next of kin. If the husband and children want her to have the blood and not die while she is under anesthesia, most hospitals here will override the refusal form and give the transfusion with the Advance Directive Designee's or closest relative's consent.
  • Vetro
    Vetro
    The surgery is in a few hours, the surgeon seems confident that blood won't be needed and he's a excellent surgeon, but disasters can always happen and she's alreadyhad a bleed out. Everyone is completely on edge, I hope noone has a meltdown before the surgery can even begin
  • Vetro
    Vetro
    My mother made it thro the surgery with only losing 100cc's of blood, hopefully the sutures will hold, they removed a large portion of her colon, we just to keep a eye out for a hemorrhage and infections which can be common, the infections, so everyone is still on edge. I've been at the hospital so I can't really discuss much about my situation but I will when I get the chance, I want to thank everyone for their well wishes.
  • Giordano
    Giordano
    Hoping for the best outcome.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit