U.N. Dismantled

by joannadandy 16 Replies latest watchtower bible

• RandomTask
    RandomTask

You talk a lot but get to the meat of what you are saying. I'm not speaking in a philosophical sense and I'm not saying that that I am the arbiter of what is right or wrong, but what I DO believe is that certain ideas can either lead one to a good or a bad end.

We can sit around, smoke fine cigars and sip brandy and debate how many angels can fit on the head of a pin in perpetuity, but don't we have life to live? Seriously, you can philosophise anything, even that the computer sitting in front of you doesn't exist, but eventually decisions must be made, actions must be taken and the historians will decide weather we were right or wrong, long after I have lived my (hopefully) long and happy life.

BTW, yes it would be cool from an anti-JW standpoint for the UN to go kaput, but I don't believe it will or needs to. The UN can be an effective body, but in its present state it is quite ... innefective.

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

A good or bad end as far as who is concerned?

I make choices baised on what is good for me and my concience, you do the same for yourself. Luckily we don't have the fate of the free-world resting on the choices we make, so we don't have to worry about historians giving a critique of what we do.

And so what...people fifty to a hundred years from now will still either deplore what happens today in Iraq, or agree with it whole heartedly that it had to be done.

It just bothers me that you simplify something so abstract as an idea as either right or wrong when it's so subjective.

• Gerard
    Gerard

And in Basra, Baathist militiamen with AK-47 assault rifles opened fire on civilian vehicles on Sunday, wounding one man, in an attempt to force civilians to fight US and British troops, witnesses said.

[By: Al Jezeera : http://english.aljazeera.net/topics/article.asp?cu_no=1&item_no=2056&version=1&template_id=277&parent_id=258

So, how subjective is this?

U.N. will remain. Just think of the best way to deal with, say, N. Kora is through pressure by a multilateral forum.

• lauralisa
    lauralisa

Damn, Joanna,

I've been trying to digest all that's been written on this thread but I can't stop laughing at the "pinko cornholio" reference.....

--------> lifting back of shirt over head and vibrating with giggles

• teejay
    teejay

Thanks for posting this, Joannadandy.

Chomsky clearly articulates many of the somewhat obvious points that several have made on this board. The gist of it is that getting rid of Saddam will not likely be the signal for peace but rather just a new phase of a brand new kind of war.

As far as the U.N. is concerned, in Ireland this morning the president set the world’s mind at ease when he said that the U.N. would serve a “vital role” in the rebuilding of Iraq. Wow. I don’t know about you, but I feel a lot better – considering that just a few days ago he said that the U.N. was “irrelevant.”

• Gamaliel
    Gamaliel

teejay,

But did you notice that Bush called the U.N.'s role "vital" right after Blair said it would be effectively "non-existent?"

Gamaliel

• teejay
    teejay
    But did you notice that Bush called the U.N.'s role "vital" right after Blair said it would be effectively "non-existent?"

Yes I did, Gamaliel. Which comment do you think is closer to what was REALLY on the mind of the speaker? Don’t answer!

Despite my disagreement with his position, in comparison to Bush I think Blair has consistently come across as a true statesman whose argument is usually presented as one without personal bias. Bush, OTOH... oh... nevermind...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit