Something smells fishy in Iraq

by unclebruce 17 Replies latest jw friends

• cellomould
    cellomould

So you think the United States is playing a game of bait-and-switch?

How dare you?!

This is a war to protect the American way of life...I mean, no....it's a war to protect and liberate the Iraqi people!

Well put

• Undecided
    Undecided

Hi Unc,

I think we know about as much of what is really going on in this war as we do about what life is really about and why the universe is in existance.

Ken P.

• PurpleV
    PurpleV

I agree with most of your (well-written) post. I disagree on some points but that's OK.

I do mind, though, when people who only experienced 9/11 as an abstraction on TV feel that it can be trivialized into a statement like blown up the twin phalic symbols in New York. I was here and had the smoke of cremating humans enter my home. I lost my cousin, a NYC firefighter to this horrible outrage. I saw the ruins and the devastation of families.

NYC has also been devastated economically as a result. Insurance premiums, property taxes, subway and bus fares, all skyrocketing. Layoffs this week and the closing of firehouses. It costs us $5 million A WEEK for our Orange Level Terrorism safety. I wake up each morning to the sound of a military helicopter. I commute with bomb-sniffing dogs and air monitors in the subway, national guardsmen with machine guns everywhere. I'm scared of dying by writhing on a grimy subway platform from nerve gas.

I wish Bush had pursued Osama harder. I can't believe he got away. I guess he's trying to use Saddam as an example. I don't know what the outcome will be.

Peace, PurpleV

• Gamaliel
    Gamaliel
    I do mind, though, when people who only experienced 9/11 as an abstraction on TV feel that it can be trivialized into a statement like blown up the twin phalic symbols in New York. I was here and had the smoke of cremating humans enter my home. I lost my cousin, a NYC firefighter to this horrible outrage.

I share your feelings about not trivializing the Twin Towers atrocity. But what unclebruce said can't be as trivializing as the Daily News, just a couple days later, saying something like "I was flying over the city, and it was as if the city had just lost its two front teeth." Did you see that article?

I'm so sorry you lost a cousin. We lost a friend, who had been a secretary of my boss for a couple years.

I'm staring out my window down that way as I type, and I can still "see" the second plane hit. I can still feel the mental jolt. My brother was close enough (NYU area roof) to see people jump. We waited into the night to hear something from relatives who had walked or ferried out of the city. My wife's cousin is a firefighter who survived, but spent 2 and sometimes 3 shifts working the rubble looking for his "comrades" the first few days.

You must live in or near the city? I'm glad to hear from someone else who was affected by it yet still can see truth in much of what unclebruce said. I've seen claims on the forum that this war is being fought in the name of NYC and all of "us" will appreciate everything Bush is doing.

I, for one, would rather be a patriotic and respect my country.

Gamaliel

• heathen
    heathen

I think what's more disconcerting is that the US has admitted they don't know what the hell to do with a nation of angry muslims . These people don't seem to want the freedom and western life style imposed on them . They truly believe that the so called christian world is their enemy and will more than likely continue to find ways to try and subvert the attempts to build a kinder and gentler Iraq. I don't think they did this solely over the twin towers but because they think they are doing the world a favor and that's even more scarey.

• PurpleV
    PurpleV

G

I wasn't trying to pick on Unclebruce... I actually agreed with him on most of what he said. I didn't see the daily news article about the two front teeth but that would have upset me even more.

I can even see that certain fanatics might think of the twin towers as phallic symbols... that's just the problem, they don't give a hoot about human life.

Again, this is all in the name of religion. Those "pilots that didn't want to learn how to land the plane" were thinking of 72 virgins and screaming Allah's name as they sent 3000 lives into oblivion and ruined countless tens of thousands more.

I live and work in Manhattan... live in Gramercy Park and work above Grand Central. You?

I think what's more disconcerting is that the US has admitted they don't know what the hell to do with a nation of angry muslims . These people don't seem to want the freedom and western life style imposed on them . They truly believe that the so called christian world is their enemy and will more than likely continue to find ways to try and subvert the attempts to build a kinder and gentler Iraq. I don't think they did this solely over the twin towers but because they think they are doing the world a favor and that's even more scarey.
    Amen to that, Heathen.
  • Gamaliel
    Gamaliel
    I live and work in Manhattan... live in Gramercy Park and work above Grand Central. You?

PurpleV,

Rockerfeller Center, just above the NBC/Radio City Music Hall bldg.

Gamaliel

• heathen
    heathen

I'm from brooklyn ny , does that count? I would love to visit the city again. Might even do that again this year.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit