Fake Reporting, Growth and Crap Blessings

by cookiemaster 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cookiemaster
    cookiemaster
    I think the numbers shown in the Yearbook and with other occasions that are used by the Gibberish Buddies to boast about the blessings from Jehovah are super fake and inflated, much of it even without their knowledge. I think they like to take advantage of all sorts of technicalities and loopholes to report numbers as great as possible, but it's not like JWs are super reliable sources of reporting.

For example I have not been in field circus for something like two years. I never talked about "the truth" with any non-JW, yet I've never been considered inactive. How is that possible, you might ask? Well, at first I reported fake time just to not upset my parents by being declared inactive. They knew I never went in service but still reported time but never said anything. Later, I expressed doubts about JWs, and now finally I got to the point where I told them I think the entire religion is bullshit after I barely managed to convince my mom to accept a blood transfusion to save her life.

They have their doubts too. My mother is disfellowshipped for accepting the transfusion but hopes to get back into the cult especially due to the social aspect. All their friends and family are JWs and even though both my parents have doubts about the cult, and my mother is disfellowshipped, they choose to stay in. Anyway, the funny thing is that I still never go to field service, never talk to anyone or give away magazines. I don't even talk to the elders. I never answer when they call and haven't been to the hall in half a year. Still, when elders call my father and even though I didn't ask him to, he reports time for me. And not just an hour, but something like 7-10 hours and numerous magazines. He does the same for himself, even though he doesn't go in field service either.

But I wonder just how many others do that too. I personally knew some. I mean, JWs like to brag about the billions of field service hours, but I wonder how much of that is fake reporting or hours spent wasting time. And they brag about publisher numbers and incredible growth, but how many of those are reporting time just not to be considered inactive or only spend a couple of hours in service for the sake of appearances? To me it seems like most of the bragging about blessings based on numbers is nonsense.

They brag about record Memorial attendance numbers, even though having all those people there doesn't achieve shit. Same with the billions of hours, most spent wasting time. Same with the millions of magazines that no one actually reads. And most of their growth in numbers comes from developing countries with large, poor, uneducated populations that are easily attracted to cults. If you look beneath the surface and start analyzing things in detail, I bet things are not so great for the cult as the GB tries to make it about to be.
  • cultBgone
    cultBgone

I always wondered about this even when I was "in". Not only do they (obviously) not verify the numbers submitted each month, but they can publish whatever numbers they feel will do them the most good. Because even when numbers go down in a certain area, that was used as a call to go "serve" in that area.

Remember when they used to claim that they only counted "active" dubs in their reports? When you think of the THOUSANDS of faders and inactive ones who never report time, yet are still counted as "members", you must wonder if they jack up the literature placement and bibble study numbers in an attempt to make themselves look good. And when is the last time they reported how many were disfellowshipped last year? They've tossed around the *40,000* figure for decades but I'm not sure they even allude to it anymore.

Not much different from the worldwide media today. They can "report" anything they want and sheeple will believe every single detail, because they have given them authority over their thinking ability.

• onightdivine
    onightdivine

Great point there. A super zealous elder dub told me to send scriptures via sms to my family members everyday. If I get a reply, I can record it as a return visit. So if I send a total of 30 messages every month, I can write 30 RVs. A great easy way, he said.

LOL. I won't and will never cheat using my precious (non-JW) family to advance this crap...n

• Dissonant15
    Dissonant15

Wow! I've narrowly fudged some hour numbers before but not literature. I guess I figured the literature "servants" would realize if someone lied. Then again I doubt they inventory placements the way restaurants do liquor and pharmacies narcotics. I completely agree though that the "growth" in yearbooks seems very inaccurate, not accounting for the inactive, faders, etc.

Being new on here, I'm intrigued by your blood experience in the OP, cookie. So I went back and read your previous threads. How horrifying. This is something I worry about for my own parents. I am wondering how the elders knew she received blood. Medical information is to be kept private and confidential in the U.S. at least. How intrusive...

• cookiemaster
    cookiemaster
    CultBGone - I couldn't agree more. It really is just like the media of today, which likes to fudge numbers and basically claim whatever they want. The GB has mastered this art. I think there are tens of ways to jack up the numbers, and they don't hesitate to use them. The thing is that the org might be much more weakened than we think it is.
    ONightDivine - LOL, that's a good one. They're very resourceful like that, in finding effort free ways to claim to have done much more than in reality. I remember this special pioneer friend that used to make me drive his car for an hour to a remote town. Go to three houses and say it's already very late and we should return. Again, one hour drive back. All that time was reported. We maybe did 15-30 minutes of actual witnessing, but the report card said two and a half hours.

Dissonant 15 - Yes, the yearbooks seem very inaccurate. I think literature numbers can be just as easily fudged because they don't bother to do much tracking. As long as you don't report outrageous numbers, like 500 magazines or something, it's fine. About my blood experience, it was really horrifying. One of the most horrifying things I've been through in my life. You know, I was just like you. I've worried about it before in the past because of my parents. But they were both healthy and I thought what are the chances of happening to me. Then, all of the sudden and quite unexpectedly, it did. And I felt to helpless because my mother had her mind taken over by this blood doctrine and I couldn't bring her to reason. She didn't have a serious condition as it was easily treatable, but without a transfusion she would've died, and it would all be for nothing. I remember being at the hospital. The doctor told me she has just hours left to live without a transfusion. My only chance to save her was to convince her to take the transfusion. Her life hung in the balance of my persuasion. It was a nightmare. Medical care is confidential here too. The elders found out because a brother from the blood committee just busted his way in her room in the ICU right when she was getting a transfusion. Then, she told everyone. And the damn elders insisted to meet with her to disfellowship her right after she came from the hospital. It was very disrespectful and intrusive. They acted very much like assholes, without any respect or consideration for the trauma we've all been through.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

cookiemaster - "My mother is disfellowshipped for accepting the transfusion but hopes to get back into the cult especially due to the social aspect."

Have you ever hinted to them that social prospects outside the WTS might be even better?

• cookiemaster
    cookiemaster
    Vidiot- I have but sadly it's not as simple as that. We live in a remote mountain region. Think remote ranch in Montana, or something like that. There aren't many people around. She only has two worldly friends. Making new friends in this area, especially at 60 is very difficult. Most of our family are JWs and she has life long JW friends that are like family to her. She has no worldly hobbies or passions. I explained to her that she can always find new friends, but it's not easy to her, especially after spending a life time in this cult.
  • mynameislame
    mynameislame

An interesting change to the oranized book was pointed out on reddit recently. Probably originally cross posted from here but it is germane to this conversation so i'll cross post back.

The new version adds the following:

The Governing Body does not impose its conscience on the worldwide congregation as to how time spent in field service is to be counted, nor has anyone else been appointed to make a judgment in this matter.

It also deletes the following which was in the 2005 book:

There are essential activities for which time is not counted, such as ... traveling to and from the territory.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

Mynameislame, That's interesting. What ISN'T said is often as important as what is.

Tacitly "allowing" drive time to and from the territory could add millions of hours to the already inflated yearly report.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

I hope you showed your mother Mark 7:18 'nothing going in to a man can defile him'. Seriously blows up their blood doctrine doesn't it.

As far as the number being off look at the memorial. In order to be near 20 million like they claim each congregation would have to more then double their attendance but if you notice it's usually the early meeting time that's full up of people the later meeting times not so much. 20 M. My ass!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit