Moments That Make Your Skin Crawl.

by Englishman 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman

I thought that it might be fun to have a "My Most Embarrassing Moment" competition. If the thread takes off, first, second and third places will receive a prize guaranteed to BE OF NO MONETARY VALUE WHATSOEVER!

So, I've had to give a lot of thought to exactly what was my most embarrassing moment as a JW.

Was it as a 12 year old child travelling on the London Underground, whilst being forced to wear a label that shouted in lurid purple: "Gods Kingdom Rules! Is the Worlds end near?"

Was it that famous MASTURBATION talk that I endured at the convention, while I was sat next to my mother who was getting more red-faced than me?

No, my worst moment happened at the Royal Festival Hall in London.

A bunch of us JW's had reserved front seats at a Beethoven concert. The plan was to leave immediately after the last bar of music was played, to avoid having to stand stiffly for the National Anthem that always concluded this sort of evening. The WT had been tub-thumping about youngsters saluting Old Glory in the US, and much was being made of the fact that the UK contingent should make some sort of stand also, despite there only being flag saluting on Empire Day.

Back to the plot. We dozen or so dubs took our places at the front of the Festival Hall. The orchestra and audience applauded the conductor, who mounted the dais, lifted his baton, and launched into....God Save The Queen!

As one, the huge crowd leapt to their feet and lustily started to bawl the dreadful dirge. (Prince Charles has promised to switch to Land of Hope and Glory when he finally gets the crown nestling above those amazing ears) We were stunned and looked at each other apalled, if we stood we would be committing idolatry! Aaagh! The anthem was supposed to be played at the end of the concert, not the beginning. What to do?

Our PO was with us, and as we bobbed up and down in our seats - stand / sit / sit / stand, he hissed: "Stay seated!"

So we all sat down as the long version of the anthem was played, all of us acutely aware of the hostility that was being aroused in the Nationalistic crowd to the rear of us.

The interminable anthem dragged to a halt, and therein the conductor waved the orchestra into the opening bars of the Pastoral. It was quiet enough for us to hear the hissed comments coming from the outraged audience behind us: "Bloody Commies", or, "What are you, conshies?", or worse still for my ex-RAF dad who had flown on many bombing missions in WW2, "I fought in the war for the likes of snotty-nosed pillocks like YOU!"

We sat rigidly through the first half of the concert. During the interval we had a rapid discussion and decided that discretion was the better part of valour and upped and left, the row of empty seats now conveying a silent message to the remaining audience, that, indeed, strange people had been around that night...

Englishman.

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim

One Saturday morning out in field service, I rang a doorbell at a home in a rather affluent neighborhood. An elderly grey-haired woman answered the door, to which I began my spiel of introducing myself as one of Jehovah's Witnesses, offering her the latest magazines. I wasn't halfway through my presentation when the woman burst into uncontrollable, hilarious laughter. Insulted, I excused myself to leave, which only made her laugh that much harder. As I took my first step off her porch, she called out to me "No...wait!"
    I turned around and suddenly realized I recognized the voice: It was one of the "sisters" in my own congregation - one of the "anointed", in fact. I had no idea where she lived - and I had no idea that her bright red "I Love Lucy" hair was in fact a wig!

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns
    the row of empty seats now conveying a silent message to the remaining audience, that, indeed, strange people had been around that night...

Another brilliantly told recollection of our own past painful memories. Thanks,

Path

• patio34
    patio34

Here's one:

I took my 4 children to a school play and we sat in the back row so as not to be conspicuous during the national anthem. Well, when the speaker announced the anthem, everyone stood AND TURNED AROUND--the flag was on the back wall! So not only were we seated, but the entire audience was facing us in the back row . . . I still cringe.

Patio

• hippikon
    hippikon

Blush

A sister once whispered in my ear "Your circumcised aren’t you"

From that day on I stoped waring tight pants.

"But it does move"
    Galileo

• Liberated
    Liberated

God, how awful, Patio. That's the worst.
    I cringe for you!

• tergiversator
    tergiversator

The beginning of my outcast days in school came in third grade. Our school district had a program for gifted kids to go to another school for one day a week and do extra "enrichment" activities... anyway, we were working on building bridges out of toothpicks and glue when the subject of religion came up somehow. My best friend from long before I had become a witness (and who I naturally drifted away from) was there, along with three or four other mutual "friends". Somehow, I got into an argument with one of them about hell.

I, being the good witness, explained that she (along with everyone else) was going to go to hell.

For some reason, she got upset. She was very unreasonable, not letting me explain that hell was just "the common grave" (whateve that was), and everyone turned on me, former best friend included. Marcy later told her mom on me, who told my teacher, who told my mom. (Ironically, I didn't get in trouble, because my mom thought that telling someone they were going to hell "didn't sound like her daughter". And my mom is NOT the sort of person to stand up for her kids no matter what.) That was, however, the last time I was tolerated amid that particular clique, and I grew to dread having to go to GATE class ever week because I knew I had no friends there.

Then there was the inaguaral prayer...

In fifth grade, my teacher, who was very patriotic but (I thought) tolerant of witness beliefs, brought all of us to the school cafeteria to watch Bill Clinton's inaugaral ceremony on the television there.

I managed to sit toward the back, and everything was going well... until some religious guy got up and started to say a PRAYER for the president. My teacher motioned for everyone to stand up, out of respect, and I, of course, remained seated.

There was another witness in my class that year, however; it was the first year that had ever happened. He was even an elder's son. Robby, however, stood up for the prayer, kind of heisitantly, than looked back at me and guiltily sat down, only to get up again when the teacher confronted him. So much for moral support.

Then my teacher came over to me, demanding why I was staying so "defiantly" seated. She was shaking with rage, and I was so taken aback that I couldn't get out a coherent reason why I thought standing for for a prayer at a political event was so evil. She pointed to Robby (now standing again) and demanded the obvious explanation. And she wouldn't let me explain later, like I wanted to, when everyone in the auditorium wasn't looking at us, amused that I was getting in trouble for once (I was one of those sorts of kids).

I don't remember how I got out of there, but it took a conference with my mother before she calmed down. I, of course, took all of the wrong lessons of that incident.

-Tergiversator

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

Hip OMG I'm ROTFLMAO!!!!

YIKES,

Ven

• Mulan
    Mulan

Here's a good one!! When I was about 13, I raised my hand at the book study and asked "What is circumcision?" I knew I shouldn't have asked when the conductor stumbled all over himself, and finally said I should ask my father. When I found out what it meant, I about died, I was so embarrassed. The topic was circumcision of the heart. They never did answer that one. ;)

• anglise
    anglise

On a return visit I mistook a man for a woman and said something about "a lady like yourself" and then I suddenly realised my mistake.
    I never did that RV again.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit