Psychics

by LovesDubs 25 Replies latest jw friends

• thinkers wife
    thinkers wife

Out and Free,
    That is amazing. Never been to one. But Thinker and I bought some Tarot cards awhile back. We have done some good amatuer readings on each other. It is almost more of a science than magic.
    I have a friend who has some phsycic powers, she is amazingly accurate sometimes.
    I also happen to think that something she told me to do helped Thinker and I get together. Amazingly before Thinker and I ever met, he was trying something similiar to the thing she told me to do.
    TW

• Mommie Dark
    Mommie Dark

When I was first deTowering, one of my secret acts of rebellion was to buy a deck of Tarot cards and book. The deck I bought was a new one with a psychological approach rather than divinatory. I had no clue about the diversity of decks and interpretations at the time. I still haven't studied the subject indepth, although I keep telling myself I am going to knuckle down and become mondo experta. I know my deck and its accompanying text pretty well. So far that's enough for me. I own a more traditional deck but frankly the occult 'fortune-telling' trappings make me impatient.

I'm not real 'gifted' with the cards, but I have found that they do tend to make querents sit up and get stunned open-mouthed looks on their faces. I can understand how some folks could think there was magic or demonism or something to the Tarot. It can seem uncanny when the cards 'speak' to you. It isn't magic, of course, just a well-made system of examining archetypal experiences. But if you tailor the interpretations to the querent a tad, you can come off as cool as old rehearsed Miss Cleo.

• mommy
    mommy

Oh I know I will take a beating for this, but here goes I have been several times to palm readers and fortune tellers, also had my cards read. I never spent more that $15 to $20 and always considered it entertainment. I never made any life changing decisions based on what they told me, and never have my friends. I did notice that fortune tellers & psychics, leave a wide margin for error. Mostly they are playing fill in the blank and you are supplying them with the info. Of course you tell them the first thing that comes to your mind and it is usually what you are most worried about.

But I have been told some things that make my skin crawl. I was told of event that would occur in the future several years down the road even, down to the month that it would happen, and this event did occur. They knew things that I did not tell them including how many kids I had and their sexes, without any hints from me. A friend of mine was told she would not find love until she was in the summer of her 30th year. My friend still has not found love and this was told to her 5 years ago, she has only a few more years to go. I will let you know if that came true

I think there are some that do have an ability, what it is I don't know. But I am convinced to a certain degree that what I was told and the events that occured. But I also did find some that as I said earlier were playing fill in the blank and were very obvious. I think if you view it as entertainment, and their words with a grain of salt it can be a fun experience.
    So get your credit card number and call now Mon, operators are standing by!
    wendy

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim

So if these psychics see all and know all, then how come they're working for a living sitting by their toll-free telephone line when all they'd have to do is psychically figure out tonight's winning lotto number and spend the rest of their life on easy street?

• outnfree
    outnfree

SFJim,

I don't think these psychics see all and know all. I DO think that some are simply con artists, allowing themselves a wide berth for error.

However, I also know some people (relatives, actually) who are gifted with that heightened sixth sense that Thinker's wife alluded to above, and that they have moments when they see the future quite clearly. Or have a 'sense' of what it going to happen good or bad. Or have dreams or visions that come true.

Usually, these people don't like the fact that these things occur to them. Others capitalize on them, figuring it's a way to make a quick buck.

I have never felt a need to consult a fortune teller since the episode 28 years ago, but I still can't deny that at least part of what I thought was ALL bunk at the time, actually came true.

I have NO idea why they don't ALL divine the winning numbers, horse, points spreads, etc. but I think most will simply tell you, "It doesn't work like that."

outnfree

• Mommie Dark
    Mommie Dark

I had a workmate once who was a unique human; she was half Irish and half Cherokee and her uncle was a medicine man on the rez in TN. She wsa mostly a pragmatic and hardnosed practical sort of person, but she had deep abiding respect for native spirituality mixed with genuine fear of its manifestations. Apparently her uncle had urged her most of her life to study native religion and healing with him. She chose to devote her life to nursing the elderly in institutions and in her words 'stay away from that creepy stuff'. I got pretty close to her and her kids, and spent a fair amount of time with them. I had known her well over a year when she introduced me to her Tarot cards.

She said she found them in her mailbox one morning years earlier, in a manila envelope. THey bore no postmark or postage, and the note included, typewritten, said only, 'the cards like to be wrapped in silk.' She told me that she scoffed at the notion, put the cards in a drawer, and went about her business.

And when she was shopping at the mall later that day, she bought a silk scarf, and went home and wrapped the cards in it. Refusing to give it any 'thought', she just 'did it.'

She told me she almost never touched the cards. She called it 'letting the spirits lead' her; she used the cards when she felt 'compelled' to do so.

She felt compelled to read mine once. I have never seen a reading like the one she did. Obviously she had no typical formal training in the Tarot. She didn't use any spread I recognize. She told me that the cards were showing her mostly past, and proceeded to tell me things that I had never told her or anyone. It was, in a word, uncanny.

When she was done, she seemed embarrassed and apologized for possibly hurting me by talking about sensitive issues. She also seemed very tired, as if the reading had sapped her strength.

She never mentioned the cards gain, and I never saw them again in the two years I knew her before I moved out of state.

I think maybe in the back of my mind I hoped (and feared) I would have some oogly-boogly psychic boost out of using the cards. But no... I bought mine in a book store, learned to read them out of a book, and although it pleases me how spang-right-on a reading can be, there is nothing supernatural or inexplicable about how it works. I sure can't duplicate the vibes that her reading gave off, or see into a querent's past accurately like she did.

'Psychic' is a pretty broad and IMO misused term to describe a variety of anomalous experience. This gal sure had something, but was she 'psychic'? Could she have 'seen' those things about me through some other medium, like trance or Ouija board or palmistry? Were the cards the medium of communication, or was she?

and the big ???... how come we ALL can't do this? and why does it come in unpredictable and unquantifiable chunks instead of neat tidy manageable bits that we could study easily?

And one last ?... how come when I do a reading for someone, it comes out meatier when they have 'crossed my palm' in some way? That started out as a joke, but we soon found that the best readings really are the ones that the querent has paid for in some way. Is this a psychological thing, and if so, is it my mind or theirs that makes this happen?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit