Hey There Canuckers!!!!!!

by dottie 10 Replies latest jw friends

• dottie
    dottie

Had a question for my fellow canuckers:

I am going to Green Bay for the apostafest, and I don't have a passport. Should I get one even though I have plenty of Canadian ID??? I haven't travelled to the US before and I am unaware of any new border procedures since 9/11.

Thanks in advance for the tips

Dottie

• Waygooder64
    Waygooder64

Dottie, if you have any ID with a photo of yourself that should do,but a passport is much better.If you have a birth certificate bring that along to.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Be dam sure the car your driving is registered to you,or you will be visiting a lot longer than you expect...OUTLAW

• Prufrock
    Prufrock

Other than the general ill feeling I believe that for Canadian citizens nothing has changed. However for those of us that have not got around to getting citizenship and are still landed immigrants things changed as of March 21st. Now you will need a visitors visa, unless you are from the U.K., Australia, New Zealand and a couple of other British protectorates that I can't remember. Being from the U.K. though will still mean that you get hauled into the office and have to fill out a card, as I found out.

• Prufrock
    Prufrock

Other than the general ill feeling I believe that for Canadian citizens nothing has changed. However for those of us that have not got around to getting citizenship and are still landed immigrants things changed as of March 21st. Now you will need a visitors visa, unless you are from the U.K., Australia, New Zealand and a couple of other British protectorates that I can't remember. Being from the U.K. though will still mean that you get hauled into the office and have to fill out a card, as I found out.

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Dottie. Glad to see the Green Bay fest is going to have some Canadian representation.

It will probably be more work to get a passport, than to get through US customs. But that is now. Things could change overnight. I read an article in the paper last week that suggested the US was looking at setting up dual entry and exit points. Which translates to being questioned twice on the way in and twice on the way out.

If I was going to Green Bay, I would definately get a passport. It can't hurt now, and could make things a lot easier if the situation deteriates.

Be prepared to spend up to 100.00 dollars by the time it's all over after fees, taxes and pictures.

oh....and have fun

• Simon
    Simon

Last time we went across the Canadian / USA border we were pulled in and questioned (and they made me walk back into Canada to exchange some money for US Dollars but that's another story).

The others in the car with us (with Canadian passports) went straight through.

• dottie
    dottie

Thanks for the tips everyone !!

The Passport office is essentially down the street from me, so I think I'll just go down and get one. Oh and do you think I should leave any um...ahem..."party favors" at home ??? LOL (j/k) I may be Canadian, but I am NOT that stupid! (well somedays anyway )

Dottie

• Irreverent
    Irreverent

Look forward to meeting you in GB. I guess being a US citizen, I don't realize the problems people have from other nations getting into the US from Canada. As long as we have a US picture ID (such as a driver's license), we have not had any problems leaving the US into Canada and when we come back, they ask more questions than they used to; but generally they just check the ID and let us go. Maybe we don't fit the govt profile of a dangerous individual. It seems that if you enter at a post that is small and let traveled; there is less hassle also. Be carefull, telling some people in the US that you are visiting GB may have them thinking that you are nuts. Cheeseheads sharing the love!!!

• praying_mantis
    praying_mantis

You do need a passport. Before 9/11 you could get into the states with just your birth certificate and photo ID. I know this because A: I am Canadian and B: was dating an American before and after 9/11. Also, when my parents flew down here for my wedding, the travel agent they used made it clear that they had to have passports. Besides, passports are cool. You get your picture taken and everything. :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit